What would you choose?

What Would You Choose?

aroma.jpg
aroma 1.jpg
aroma 2.jpg
aroma 3.jpg

This lovely local joint is BYOB, bring your own booze, so it makes the prices more reasonable ... still not cheap, I mean, this is in Hawaii ...

Not all at once (probably), but I’d have ... the Italian salad,
OK - here's a question for you - and it's not a criticism of any sort, just a curiosity. WHY, when you've got 4 perfectly balanced salads, would you need to "Add chicken" ? Is this a common thing? I might understand "add cheese", but chicken, I just can't get my head around. I also noticed in Ford's Burgers the other day - all the salads had chicken.

OK - here's a question for you - and it's not a criticism of any sort, just a curiosity. WHY, when you've got 4 perfectly balanced salads, would you need to "Add chicken" ? Is this a common thing? I might understand "add cheese", but chicken, I just can't get my head around. I also noticed in Ford's Burgers the other day - all the salads had chicken.
A lot of people add proteins to their salads to make the salad a full meal, i.e. an entree. Like chicken added to Cesar salad, full size shrimp vs bay shrimp to our Rusty Pelican salad, Cobb salad with chicken and bacon. Pretty much every restaurant has the option to add a protein to their salad, other than a small side salad at a greatly reduced price to add to your meal.

Oh, those salads that have the added protein option are going to be quite large servings as in enough for 2 to 4 people if you are wanting it just as a small side to your meal.

If you look at Ford's menu, they have a side salad listed at $7 vs $18+ for the entrée salads with proteins. And, yes, $7 is a lot for what you probably get. Most places are much more reasonable when you order a side salad.

Last edited:
First off, on the particular salad I chose, I’d never add chicken, it just wouldn’t go.

The Caesar salad, though…I would if I didn’t want anything else - like medtran49 says, it’s a way to add protein and bulk up an otherwise pretty light (in heft, not calories) dish - plus, blackened chicken on a Caesar salad is very good, IMO.

Also, keep in mind, whenever you see “add chicken” in the US, it will almost always (if not always) be chicken breast - it’s seen as a healthier alternative, and because chicken breast can be very mild (dare I say bland?), it can fit in with a lot of other flavors and not ruin the dish. That’s why you’ll see salads with chicken options, pastas with chicken, pizzas made with chicken…it’s very versatile that way, especially the white meat.

Thanks, medtran49 and TastyReuben. That's perfectly logical. I remember two things from previous visits to the US. One in 1974, when I came over on a Choir Tour. I don't think we ever ate a meal without "Chef's salad", which usually had slices of (processed) chicken, ham and maybe something else on top. Even better than the salad was the "dressings" : French, Italian, blue Cheese or 1000 Islands :D :D Over in the UK, we only got Salad Cream.
Then when I started travelling again in the 90s, I distinctly remember the humongous salads which I may never have eaten completely. I can see where "add a protein" would make them a complete meal.

Here's another one, then. We went out for dinner tonight at a restaurant in Over The Rhine, called Pepp & Dolores. Italian, 100% Italian - but very good indeed. What would you choose from the menu?
Pepp & Dolores.jpg

I’d get The Dunk for my bread, Salumi & Cheese for my appetizer, Antipasto for my salad, Meatballs for my side, and Spicy Vodka for my pasta.

What, no dessert? ☹️:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom