The General Chat Thread (2024)

On facebook I follow untamed, real life stories of wildlife in Australia. Yesterday a group of people moved a huge croc from a billabong that was drying up so he would have died. He measured over 15 feet long, apparently there is a law that if a croc over 15 feet is found then it can be legally euthanised. They didn't, instead let him go in his new home. I had no idea there was such a law, I understand the issues around crocs but he was an amazing specimen of mother nature.

On facebook I follow untamed, real life stories of wildlife in Australia. Yesterday a group of people moved a huge croc from a billabong that was drying up so he would have died. He measured over 15 feet long, apparently there is a law that if a croc over 15 feet is found then it can be legally euthanised. They didn't, instead let him go in his new home. I had no idea there was such a law, I understand the issues around crocs but he was an amazing specimen of mother nature.
Bit ageist isnā€™t it!

I know this is a potentially contentious issue so itā€™s dodgy to mention it at all but sometimes something gives your heart a little lift and you want to share it with like minded souls.

My SIL is a human rights lawyer. She is one of the lawyers on a list (including a photo of her) circulated by the far right protest organisers as a target for their recent disgusting violent racist protests.
The police contacted her practice and told them to all to stay at home on Wednesday as trouble was expected and they were a named target šŸ˜ž

Everyone I know including the most conservative of folk are horrified by this display of ignorance and intolerance in what we think of as a country that enjoys the benefits of such a cosmopolitan mix of people.
Thereā€™s no doubt in most peoples minds weā€™re better off because of it.

Anyway Wednesday was a bit of a tense day because if they know your name and what you look like and that youā€™re a registered practitioner itā€™s not hard to find out where you live.
The authorities did their best to have these lawyers names removed from all usual regulatory bodies listings but the information has been out there all this time.

So it was so heartening to see this planned ultra right ā€˜protestā€™ turn into nothing because quite literally thousands of good people turned out at the places they had planned to target holding banners essentially saying you have no place in our society, refugees are welcome, GO AWAY.

I saw a picture of a wall of police constables about three deep forming a protective barrier around six knuckle dragging far right protesters from potential harm.
The idiots were stood there looking sheepish, like they desperately wished they were anywhere else.
Apparently the rest of their clan skirted around the peripheries and in the policeā€™s words ā€œmelted awayā€.

Anyway there you go, rather than the far right powering themselves up with more hateful vitriol and violence they were met with vast, peaceful opposition that saw them skulk away taking with them a strong message they are not wanted here.
My SIL was safe because of it and got some sense that people understand, that compassion is alive and kicking in the population.

Nice.

Last edited:
My SIL was safe because of it and got some sense that people understand, that compassion is alive and kicking in the population.
So good to hear she is safe. Yes, there are a lot of good people around.
I was horrified to follow Uk news.
Violence is not the answer, we don't need more violence.
Work to be done, yes, but a path of goodness, uprightousness and compassion ought to be followed.
I'd better not get into the topic, I know too little and this is not the frame, as you pointed out.
But letting things off one's chest, yes, anytime.
Take care.
šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™

Anyway there you go, rather than the far right powering themselves up with more hateful vitriol and violence they were met with vast, peaceful opposition that saw them skulk away taking with them a strong message they are not wanted here.

Yeah - it was heartening to see the anti far right protest on the streets. What worries me though is that the far right attacks may not really be over. We have the weekend to come...

Yeah - it was heartening to see the anti far right protest on the streets. What worries me though is that the far right attacks may not really be over. We have the weekend to come...
Itā€™s never over, never will be, blaming scapegoats for peoples own problems is a tale as old as time.
It makes everything they feel is wrong someone elseā€™s fault, very convenient.

But I canā€™t imagine a better faster finish to a planned ultra right ā€˜protestā€™ that fizzling to nothing in the face of thousands of people who want harmony.

As a plus weak minded people who are seduced by blame and hate are not entirely impervious to the overwhelming messages they are being sent.

We got a ton of rain yesterday but not much wind. Today's high is 80, cloudy this morning with clearing later. Tomorrow is 76 and partly sunny.

Itā€™s never over, never will be, blaming scapegoats for peoples own problems is a tale as old as time.

I know. I just meant the immediate 'on the streets' riots, setting fire/ vandalising properties connected to supposed illegal immigrants. The combination of swift legal action by our new government and peaceful people power has hopefully quelled that.

Back
Top Bottom