The General Chat Thread (2024)

How do they know there are new babies?
I'm guessing they can hear them. The front door is usually open with just the flyscreen mesh closed, it's also a chook proof mesh! And they often camp out there especially if they can see me in the kitchen through the door. Little treats go their way. The guinea pig cage the chicks are in is only a few meters from the front door which accesses the middle of the house now due to various extensions built around that never relocated it, this is it an ideal wind shelter, storm shelter, sun trap that they love, especially because they can almost be in the house with me.

And yes, if you leave the door open even for a minute, you'll have a chicken in the house.

I'm guessing they can hear them. The front door is usually open with just the flyscreen mesh closed, it's also a chook proof mesh! And they often camp out there especially if they can see me in the kitchen through the door. Little treats go their way. The guinea pig cage the chicks are in is only a few meters from the front door which accesses the middle of the house now due to various extensions built around that never relocated it, this is it an ideal wind shelter, storm shelter, sun trap that they love, especially because they can almost be in the house with me.

And yes, if you leave the door open even for a minute, you'll have a chicken in the house.
Sorry if I missed this but how have you got into this little chick hatching thing?

Sorry if I missed this but how have you got into this little chick hatching thing?
2 broody chooks, my youngest chickens are nearly 4½-5 years old and a ban on movement and sale of chooks... and it's not the first time we've raised chicks in the house.

Florida is going to get slammed again. Hurricane Milton is going to hit the west coast with the cone of the center being anywhere from Naples, which is pretty much due west of where we are over on the east coast, up to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, which is about mid state.

Our DD and DGDs live just a little to the south of the middle of the cone so are going to get hit with hurricane conditions regardless. They are leaving the house tomorrow to head inland to the middle of the state because they are in a red evacuation zone. Their house is only a couple of years old so...

Craig and I will get bad weather, heavy rains and winds, to super bad weather depending on where it hits. The storm has been shifting south the last few updates so that's a bad thing for us.

I'm a hurricane tracker, I suppose. This year looks as if it's going to be particularly nasty. At the moment there are 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic/Caribbean, treading in Helene's footsteps which are barely 10 days old. Does not look good for Florida, so stay safe.

Florida is going to get slammed again. Hurricane Milton is going to hit the west coast with the cone of the center being anywhere from Naples, which is pretty much due west of where we are over on the east coast, up to the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, which is about mid state.

Our DD and DGDs live just a little to the south of the middle of the cone so are going to get hit with hurricane conditions regardless. They are leaving the house tomorrow to head inland to the middle of the state because they are in a red evacuation zone. Their house is only a couple of years old so...

Craig and I will get bad weather, heavy rains and winds, to super bad weather depending on where it hits. The storm has been shifting south the last few updates so that's a bad thing for us.
MrsT is following it closely. She’s flying down to Tampa Saturday. Her friend’s house is just outside the evac zone.

Hopefully, you and yours make it through ok!

I'm a hurricane tracker, I suppose. This year looks as if it's going to be particularly nasty. At the moment there are 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic/Caribbean, treading in Helene's footsteps which are barely 10 days old. Does not look good for Florida, so stay safe.
There is only 1 hurricane that poses threat to land at the moment, and that's Milton, which is forecasted to hit south of Helene's track after skimming the northern coast of the Yucatan peninsula.

The other 2 Hurricanes are mid-Atlantic and pose no threat to land as a hurricane, though Kirk, which has been downgraded but still being tracked, is probably going to give the UK some weather at some point.

Atlantic 2-Day Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

Click on the symbols for more info.

MrsT is following it closely. She’s flying down to Tampa Saturday. Her friend’s house is just outside the evac zone.

Hopefully, you and yours make it through ok!
Thanks.

Just FYI, winds are forecasted to be 150+MPH Wednesday or Thursday with a lot of very warm water between where it will be then and Florida, which means potential/probable strengthening, so...

And Milton has wobbled a little north again per the latest advisory. The cone now extends north to just south of where Helene hit. Still bad though.

Yup, cat 5, going to be a monster. Brian's aunt has a condo on Tampa Bay. Her place came through Helene ok (she evacuated) but it's not probably going to do well with this one. She's going to her son's house 45 minutes inland. I'm not convinced they'll all be far enough away because they are in the path, even if they aren't on the water. One of my nephews lives in Orlando with his wife and kids. They're inland but I wish they'd go to my sister's place in Crawfordville (she just went through Helene but her house is fine). I'm very worried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom