The General Chat Thread (2024)

Well, Tampa, St. Pete airports are closing Tuesday morning, so Mrs TastyReuben may not be going anywhere.
I was thinking the same thing. Even if her flight isn't until Saturday, there are going to be so many flight delays/cancellations because of the storm that it might take more than just a few days to get it all straightened out. Not to mention that even if she is out of the evacuation zone it doesn't mean that there isn't going to be damage in the way of trees coming down (due to already saturated soil and heavy wind), possible road closures, etc. Just not a place I would be eager to go immediately after a storm of this magnitude.

I remember when Opal hit in '95 when I lived in Destin and it took out a major road (Hwy 98) that runs along the coast on the Okaloosa Island segment, so people had to drive 40+ miles inland around the bay to get somewhere that should have only been 7 miles. And seeing sailboats in people's front yards was weird.

Yeah, wasn't going to mention that because I thought they could figure that out by themselves, but businesses may be closed as well.

What's also weird is seeing places where there used to be buildings and they just aren't there at all anymore.

Yeah, wasn't going to mention that because I thought they could figure that out by themselves, but businesses may be closed as well.

What's also weird is seeing places where there used to be buildings and they just aren't there at all anymore.
She's increased to 175mph just now. And it's only Monday.

Also wanted to add that there is a lot of debris around in the Tampa area leftover from Helene that will be flying all over the place in those 175mph winds (could increase to stronger by Wednesday).

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts for MrsT, she’s on top of it and will go with the flow. She’s booked on a cruise shortly after her Florida arrival, so everything’s in the hands of the airlines and the cruise line right now.

When will you introduce them to their new mommas and how?
They'll not be raised by chickens. We'll raise them and house them outside when the weather is warmer. To start with they'll go into the small coop on the veranda so that the chooks get to know them, then we'll section off an area of the garden and put them there before they'll join the flock once they are big enough to fend for themselves. Chooks and the pecking order is so like a girls boarding school...

I’ve done something I never thought for a moment I’d ever do.
I’ve ordered frozen ready meals!

There’s a lot on the calendar ahead and I’ve not been feeling tippitytop recently so I thought I should conserve my energies for the priorities.

Someone recommended these peeps (link below) so I’ve ordered 6 meals to try.
The idea is if the foods taken care of I’ll be free to crack on with the other stuff??!!
We’ll see. I’m dubious but at the same time open minded.

IMG_2581.jpeg

Field Doctor | Feed Your Health

They’ve won awards and have endorsements from notable places including the NHS.
They make it easy to exclude many allergens and most importantly apparently they taste good.
Thought I’d share because I know there are others on here who might sometimes want someone else taking care of dinner!

It very much goes against the grain for me but I like to force myself to do things I don’t want to every now n then, I must have a masochistic streak 😂

I’ve done something I never thought for a moment I’d ever do.
I’ve ordered frozen ready meals!

There’s a lot on the calendar ahead and I’ve not been feeling tippitytop recently so I thought I should conserve my energies for the priorities.

Someone recommended these peeps (link below) so I’ve ordered 6 meals to try.
The idea is if the foods taken care of I’ll be free to crack on with the other stuff??!!
We’ll see. I’m dubious but at the same time open minded.

View attachment 119419

Field Doctor | Feed Your Health

They’ve won awards and have endorsements from notable places including the NHS.
They make it easy to exclude many allergens and most importantly apparently they taste good.
Thought I’d share because I know there are others on here who might sometimes want someone else taking care of dinner!

It very much goes against the grain for me but I like to force myself to do things I don’t want to every now n then, I must have a masochistic streak 😂

I'm sceptical. Supermarkets have some good so called 'healthy' ready meals too these days at half the price. But if you are looking for gluten free the choice is obviously more limited.

I'm sceptical. Supermarkets have some good so called 'healthy' ready meals too these days at half the price. But if you are looking for gluten free the choice is obviously more limited.
It is the dietary requirements that make it worthwhile for me.
In a supermarket scenario there are almost zero gluten free and dairy free options, generally there’s one curry and maybe a chlorine rinsed salad 😂
On this site I tick dairy free and gluten free and have a lot of options 👍

Edit: They just arrived, I was worried they wouldn’t be big enough for two people but they are, they look good 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
We had to finally break down and turn on the heat today. Going down to 36F tonight.
We've just stopped using our stove. Let it go out last night. It's still going down to 2°C overnight, but the days are hitting 21°C now and that's just too warm for the stove to be lit.

Back
Top Bottom