The General Chat Thread (2024)

And I am talking about commonly prescribed items like a statin drug, lisinopril BP medication, Flonase, vitamin D, and calcium citrate. I have learned to go online and check before driving up there so I don't end up making multiple trips.
That's bad, really bad. Here, my pharmacy, whilst they charge slightly more than others in the city, they're in a town and the only pharmacy for 50km or so, they maintain stock on all their regular customers, so when I'm due Singulair, I can only have the branded version, not a generic montelukast to which I've had anaphylactic shock from), they'll have it in stock ready for me. I don't know exactly when they reorder their supply (immediately after I've purchased the last one or say 1 week before I'm due to get the next one). But they always have my stuff in stock.

I know I pay a little more for that service, but they always check my meds for allergens as well and will hunt down allergen free versions of any new meds for me. For us, that is worth paying the extra. It's usually only a few dollars extra a month per script, above what I have to pay in extra for being allergic to a common tablet/capsule/inhaler filler.

Plus if any of my meds are in short supply, they'll hunt down and store it until I need it next. It's the reason we've not changed to a cheaper pharmacy.

I know I pay a little more for that service, but they always check my meds for allergens as well and will hunt down allergen free versions of any new meds for me. For us, that is worth paying the extra. It's usually only a few dollars extra a month per script, above what I have to pay in extra for being allergic to a common tablet/capsule/inhaler filler.

Plus if any of my meds are in short supply, they'll hunt down and store it until I need it next. It's the reason we've not changed to a cheaper pharmacy.
Sometimes, you get what you pay for so paying a little bit more for great service to pretty much guarantee you get what you need is worth it.

Here in the UK if you have certain long-term health conditions you don't pay for any prescription drugs even if they're not related to the health condition that entitles you to free prescriptions in the first place. Even if you don't qualify for free prescriptions you can buy a prepaid yearly 'certificate' for £114.50 for unlimited prescriptions.

So, although I don't pay for any of my prescription medication I have chosen a particular pharmacy that is part of a national chain as once there was a nationwide shortage of one of my meds and my logic is that a big chain has a big warehouse and bigger buying power than smaller pharmacies so I'm unlikely to not get what I need.

Here in the UK if you have certain long-term health conditions you don't pay for any prescription drugs even if they're not related to the health condition that entitles you to free prescriptions in the first place. Even if you don't qualify for free prescriptions you can buy a prepaid yearly 'certificate' for £114.50 for unlimited prescriptions
We're from the UK. We only moved to Australia 8 years ago. We always lived rurally in the UK as well.

I used to qualify for free prescriptions because of my Addison's disease and needing steroids all the time, but it was an ongoing problem even in the UK getting the branded versions when generic was cheaper. It helped on one occasion that I'd taken my meds back to the chemist to say no go to a generic one (actually the montelukast) and my asthma was that bad they wanted to ring for an ambulance for me!

After that they didn't argue with me about needing either branded or lactose free versions of my drugs (lactose isn't my problem, I'm actually allergic to dairy protein which remains as trace in genetic drugs more so than branded and that trace contamination can put me in anaphylactic shock). But every time we move, we went through the same issues all over again.

Made it to our resort in Tennessee and I just unpacked stuff for the most important room in the house: the kitchen! Its smaller than what I have at home but it will do.
20241013_185807.jpg
20241013_185817.jpg

Made it to our resort in Tennessee and I just unpacked stuff for the most important room in the house: the kitchen! Its smaller than what I have at home but it will do.
View attachment 119550View attachment 119551
Looks pretty decent to me, a nice lot of counter top space.
It’s more than double the size of the kitchen I have in Spain 😂

Well that was a more eventful afternoon than I needed with exams coming up, eggs in the incubator and 7 day old chicks needing 24/7 heat.

Lightning struck very close to the house. We lost electricity at the same time, the glass in the windows was vibrating and rattling and... no the electricity didn't come back up. I waited... I waited some more, and then started to worry about the chicks and the eggs. The eggs are now at my neighbour who has electricity and didn't lose it. They're about 1km away and on the same line as us. We're the end of the line.

Eventually I had to ring the electricity company and they sent someone out. In the meantime I tried resetting fuses and other switches in the fuse box (outside in the rain)... finally a single socket in the house started to work! Weird but the clock on the cooker was showing. It previously hadn't, so I could get heat to the chicks at least.

And when I went into the bedroom, with no electricity to the power socket, the ants were swarming out of it. Great. So tomorrow I get to address that issue. I've currently got sticky tape over the entire thing, on/off switches the lot, which has actually stopped the darn things coming out of it finally! So much for the ant killer and the borax we've put in the wall...

And we finally have electricity back, though it had happened in parts, some bits not working until they felt like it. So whilst the clock worked on the cooker, the oven didn't and the stove top did... weird. That strike was a little too close for comfort.

Well that was a more eventful afternoon than I needed with exams coming up, eggs in the incubator and 7 day old chicks needing 24/7 heat.

Lightning struck very close to the house. We lost electricity at the same time, the glass in the windows was vibrating and rattling and... no the electricity didn't come back up. I waited... I waited some more, and then started to worry about the chicks and the eggs. The eggs are now at my neighbour who has electricity and didn't lose it. They're about 1km away and on the same line as us. We're the end of the line.

Eventually I had to ring the electricity company and they sent someone out. In the meantime I tried resetting fuses and other switches in the fuse box (outside in the rain)... finally a single socket in the house started to work! Weird but the clock on the cooker was showing. It previously hadn't, so I could get heat to the chicks at least.

And when I went into the bedroom, with no electricity to the power socket, the ants were swarming out of it. Great. So tomorrow I get to address that issue. I've currently got sticky tape over the entire thing, on/off switches the lot, which has actually stopped the darn things coming out of it finally! So much for the ant killer and the borax we've put in the wall...

And we finally have electricity back, though it had happened in parts, some bits not working until they felt like it. So whilst the clock worked on the cooker, the oven didn't and the stove top did... weird. That strike was a little too close for comfort.
I guess you’ve got surge protectors?

I do not like the ongoing ants in the wall thing one bit, you have my sympathies!

I guess you’ve got surge protectors?

I do not like the ongoing ants in the wall thing one bit, you have my sympathies!
No to the surge protectors for the house, but all our own appliances are on them with extension leads that have them built in, if that makes sense.

And I don't like the ants situation either. But I don't have time to deal with it before my exams, so for the moment I have literally taped the entire socket over and will address it next week. (We've got any killer down under the house and also in the garage, plus I've emptied an entire can of the stuff into that wall space as it is, just from the ceiling. I'll need to take the electrics down and do it at the wall socket next week after my exams.

Back
Top Bottom