What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and to go with curry, yellow basmati rice:

IMGP1834.jpg

The photo shows my stuffed paratha with roasted veg (beetroot, red pepper, tomatoes).
Sorry photo is a bit blurred - did my best with photobucket editing but only have a cheapo digi cam.

So I had another go at a paratha recipe - this time a stuffed one i.e. with egg and green chillies. I adapted the original recipe (scroll down the link to find it)

http://yummyindiankitchen.com/egg-paratha-recipe-anda-paratha-egg-chapati-roll/

- for the wholemeal flour I substituted gram flour/besan (more flavour and protein)
- instead of water I used a mixture of milk and water (to make it lighter)
- the filling was raw chopped onions, green chillies and raw egg - I ditched the raw onions (since they wouldn't cook through in that short time) and added more green chillies. This is spread out onto the paratha once it starts cooking in the pan and then folded over. Next time I will make the paratha thinner + slightly doughy (too wet). It did have a pleasant flavour, i.e. good combination - the egg with the chickpea flavour.

With the roasted veg it was passable.

592ac8e3-06bd-4dc4-99bf-4e0a3c1a57d8_zpsj07ztv1d.jpg

Last edited:
Dinner tonight was Tuscan fries with poached eggs, purple sprouting broccoli, and red pepper strips.

WP_20170405_20_27_43_Pro.jpg

Sorry @morning glory I was going to do chips but decided on the spur of the moment to try these. The outsides were a bit darker and slightly softer than I normally have, but lovely tasting and soft on the inside. In fact they were so lovely I forget to save a couple for the mutt! The only problem I found was that the garlic tended to smother the taste of the fresh thyme I used, but the garlic I have is rather strong. I did cheat and use my deep fat fryer for the first part as I didn't have a large enough pan to hand. I then put them in a large frying pan before adding the garlic and the thyme.

Errrr, "photo not found"
It was there initially - but went to photo not found (?) Tried a different method - hope it stays there now.
I tried a few times and couldn't get it, only the "photo not found" message, but it is OK now, so I've deleted my post :okay:
Yes Elawin, when I saw your post, the photo was indeed replaced by photo not found. Odd because I transferred other photos from photobucket using the same method so had to think of another way of doing it. Anyway sorted now - not sure it was worth it though, i.e. not really up to the standard of the delicious photos that are the norm on this forum! Well, it was a work in progress!

It was there initially - but went to photo not found (?) Tried a different method - hope it stays there now.

Yes Elawin, when I saw your post, the photo was indeed replaced by photo not found. Odd because I transferred other photos from photobucket using the same method so had to think of another way of doing it. Anyway sorted now - not sure it was worth it though, i.e. not really up to the standard of the delicious photos that are the norm on this forum! Well, it was a work in progress!
Don't worry. Some of mine haven't been brilliant. All my photos are taken at night in the kitchen without flash with the same phone. I can only think it is sometimes just the steam from the hot food :whistling:

Don't worry. Some of mine haven't been brilliant. All my photos are taken at night in the kitchen without flash with the same phone. I can only think it is sometimes just the steam from the hot food :whistling:

I only ever take photos in daylight, Top tip - take the plate or dish to your best lit area. I take mine in the garden or in my South facing window. Not direct sun as that will make nasty shadows. Just shoot in bright daylight.

I only ever take photos in daylight, Top tip - take the plate or dish to your best lit area. I take mine in the garden or in my South facing window. Not direct sun as that will make nasty shadows. Just shoot in bright daylight.
No bright daylight in either of the rooms downstairs, and the garden's a no-no with a big, bouncy hound! The best lit areas are the two I use for all my photos on here, under the bright, directable kitchen lights

No bright daylight in either of the rooms downstairs, and the garden's a no-no with a big, bouncy hound! The best lit areas are the two I use for all my photos on here, under the bright, directable kitchen lights

Shut the mutt in for a moment and use the garden. If no bright light downstairs, do what I do here (I'm staying with my friend in Essex in a dark house) and take the food upstairs to photograph. Here, I use the bathroom! Natural light makes a world of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom