What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shut the mutt in for a moment and use the garden. If no bright light downstairs, do what I do here (I'm staying with my friend in Essex in a dark house) and take the food upstairs to photograph. Here, I use the bathroom! Natural light makes a world of difference.
I'd have to get past him first - he's bigger than me, and faster :laugh:, and I can barely walk at the moment. When I've had my laptop next to my dinner, the colours are a pretty good match, at least on my laptop - better than the photos as seen on my phone.

Today was my wife's birthday, so we went out to one of her favorite little restaurants, http://www.stmoritzgrill.com/

We started by sharing a house salad and a roasted brussel sprout salad, then an order of mussels fra diavolo.

For our entrees, my wife had the honey balsamic glazed salmon that was topped with crispy leeks, and served with sweet potato orzo.
My son had the blackened salmon tacos, side of rice and warm slaw. I had a daily special of an ale and herb braised pork shank, mashed, and peas.

Finally, cappuccinos while we paid the bill, and we sang happy birthday over snowball fight cupcakes (yellow cake topped with white frosting and sweetened shredded coconut) and candles.

I only ever take photos in daylight, Top tip - take the plate or dish to your best lit area. I take mine in the garden or in my South facing window. Not direct sun as that will make nasty shadows. Just shoot in bright daylight.
It was my evening meal, i.e. dark outside! The photo was well lit (the black bits in it are dark because it's beetroot!) just a bit blurry. I took it on expanded focus - maybe that's why?

It just means potatoes baked whole with the skin on in the oven. Very easy. Then you cut them open and eat with butter and or toppings like cheese. See here:

I sometimes add topping(s) but tonight I decided au naturale (well, except for a little parsley butter).

These were started in the microwave (2 minutes each = 4 minutes) then in the halogen for 30 minutes then left to cool a little. "Opened" and the butter added and then in the microwave for another minute just to re-heat and melt the butter.

They were very tasty.

jackets au naturale s.jpg

In preparing and marinating the pork for tomorrow I failed to realise that I had nothing to eat tonight. However, a gammon steak takes very little time to defrost naturally and a couple of jackets don't take long in the halogen, so this was it:

april gammom jackets 2 s.jpg

And the egg bleeding....

april gammom jackets egg bleed s.jpg

It was my evening meal, i.e. dark outside! The photo was well lit (the black bits in it are dark because it's beetroot!) just a bit blurry. I took it on expanded focus - maybe that's why?
You will notice that I never take photos of my evening meals - unless I cook them in advance (which I often do). The curry I last posted was cooked during the day then re-heated in the evening. I think you probably used the optical zoom on your device which will increase blur as its not a true zoom lens. Its best avoided. The quality of any photos is also going to depend on the quality of your camera - some mobile phones and tablets have very good cameras but others not.

Last edited:
I think you probably used the optical zoom on your device which will increase blur as its not a true zoom lens.

I think MG has it the wrong way around. Age can be a big problem at times.

Digital zooms should be avoided at all times. Complete waste of resources. Why they were ever included in camera facilities is beyond me.

I think MG has it the wrong way around. Age can be a big problem at times.

Digital zooms should be avoided at all times. Complete waste of resources. Why they were ever included in camera facilities is beyond me.
OK I want to understand this - why are digital zooms to be avoided - not for the blurring aspect then?

I've been trying to shoot some examples but I don't have digital zoom on my camera and I'm starting to lose the light here. [Edit: losing the light also means that the sun is well over the yardarm and we have very high yardarms here]

OK, maybe try this.

You capture an image at 3000px x 2000px - total approx 6 Mb. You zoom in on that image at 2 x optical zoom. The image on the picture is twice as large but the pixels are still 3000 x 2000, approx 6 Mb the same. Now with a digital zoom you are still enlarging the image but reducing the pixels, i.e. 1500 x 1000. It's the same as taking an image and cropping it using a photo editor.

I'm not sure that makes sense as I'm not sure that I understand it myself!

Last edited:
I've been trying to shoot some examples but I don't have digital zoom on my camera and I'm starting to lose the light here. [Edit: losing the light also means that the sun is well over the yardarm and we have very high yardarms here]

OK, maybe try this.

You capture an image at 3000px x 2000px - total approx 6 Mb. You zoom in on that image at 2 x optical zoom. The image on the picture is twice as large but the pixels are still 3000 x 2000, approx 6 Mb the same. Now with a digital zoom you are still enlarging the image but reducing the pixels, i.e. 1500 x 1000. It's the same as taking an image and cropping it using a photo editor.

I'm not sure that makes sense as I'm not sure that I understand it myself!

I think that makes sense. But I'm no photographer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom