What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mussels Marinara...
kVqXpvC.jpg

That looks delicious! And I'm now craving mussels...

No, but it sounds good. Sort of a Southern version of a poutine in Quebec, or "disco fries" as they're called here.

Can you get dried pinto beans?
If so, Monday I will post my recipe.

Yes, I can. Whatever I can't get local to where I live, I am able to stop by lots of markets that are from many ethnicities as I head home from work in the city.

Do they have to be dried? I'm sure I can get canned at home. I know I've seen Goya brand.

Yes, I can. Whatever I can't get local to where I live, I am able to stop by lots of markets that are from many ethnicities as I head home from work in the city.

Do they have to be dried? I'm sure I can get canned at home. I know I've seen Goya brand.
For beans and cornbread, yes you need dried. Do you own a crockpot?
Canned beans are not the same.
How many in your family and how big is your crockpot?

Dried beans are usually on the same aisle as the rice.
Buy a pound. And grab some ham (not deli) or a ham hock or bacon.

Last edited:
There's just the three of us: wife, son, and I, and lol, we have 3 crock pots.
2 are either 7 or 8 quarts, and the other is small, like 2 quarts.

I haven't paid for any of them. One was a gift, and another was purchased using shopper points in a Kohls dept store. The small one was part of a set with the latter. It doesn't get used much.

There's just the three of us: wife, son, and I, and lol, we have 3 crock pots.
2 are either 7 or 8 quarts, and the other is small, like 2 quarts.

I haven't paid for any of them. One was a gift, and another was purchased using shopper points in a Kohls dept store. The small one was part of a set with the latter. It doesn't get used much.
Ok you will need a pound of dried pinto beans.
Oh and how is your water?
I have a 3.5 quart, 5 quart and 6 quart crockpots. I forgot a new 4 quart in the camper.Oh and some smaller ones that came with the big ones.
Just two of us here.
Oh and I have 3 west bend slow cookers.
But for beans, you need the crockpot.
Buy the beans, grab a strainer, clean the beans and pick out any rocks and dirt balls. Rinse well and put in the crockpot. Add water to about half the crockpot. (I use bottled water.) Turn on high and cook for about 3 hours. Add the ham and let cook until supper time. Total cook time at least 10 hours. Add more water as needed.
Make a pan of cornbread. Make some french fries.
Put some cornbread in the bottom of a bowl, put fries on top of cornbread. Top with beans and the bean juice.
You want plenty of bean broth.

Ok you will need a pound of dried pinto beans.
Oh and how is your water?
I have a 3.5 quart, 5 quart and 6 quart crockpots. I forgot a new 4 quart in the camper.Oh and some smaller ones that came with the big ones.
Just two of us here.
Buy the beans, grab a strainer, clean the beans and pick out any rocks and dirt balls. Rinse well and put in the crockpot. Add water to about half the crockpot. (I use bottled water.) Turn on high and cook for about 3 hours. Add the ham and let cook until supper time. Total cook time at least 10 hours. Add more water as needed.
Make a pan of cornbread. Make some french fries.
Put some cornbread in the bottom of a bowl, put fries on top of cornbread. Top with beans and the bean juice.
You want plenty of bean broth.

Firstly, our water is terrible. For too many reasons to explain here, so I will also use bottled water.

Oh, what's the difference between a West Bend slow cooker, and a crock pot? Do you just mean the brand name?
If so, I have no idea who makes ours. But I think of Crock Pot as the Kleenex or Vaseline of slow, heavy ceramic, electric cookers as the terms are interchangable.

Ok, so, no seasoning, herbs, or spices with the beans?

23rd April

Just two of us here.

What is the difference between a crock-pot and a slow cooker? And why do you need 6 of them! :eek:. I have a slow cooker which is medium sized I suppose and seems to be adequate for most things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom