What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight my partner ate the Swedish Mushroom and Cheese tart with salad. He seemed to approve. I eat later - I have just had a lovely golden yolked poached egg on toast with fresh chilli scattered over. Then I had a few slivers of the Swedish cheese on rye bread. That cheese is good!

I fell asleep and didn't wake up till late, so last night's dinner was very simple. Two of my egg, bacon, onion, tomato and "anything else I can think of that goes" doorstep sandwiches (homemade wholemeal bread, of course) and a small tomato dip sandwich made from the knobby :D

today was a trial run for tomorrow's pizza party (which most people have bailed on and now the trial pizza base is no longer required!)... but anyhow ....

Cauliflower Crust Pizza with garlic, mushrooms, onions, coconut oil cheddar style cheese and eggs. It was a hit and my husband has requested it again.

DSC_1115_1024.jpg

Edit: Link = Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Mushrooms, Onions, Coconut Oil Cheese and Eggs

Last edited:
today was a trial run for tomorrow's pizza party (which most people have bailed on and now the trial pizza base is no longer required!)... but anyhow ....

Cauliflower Crust Pizza with garlic, mushrooms, onions, coconut oil cheddar style cheese and eggs. It was a hit and my husband has requested it again.

View attachment 6491
I like the look of that! How do you make the cauliflower crust?

Its a really simple recipe which I have adapted from the BBC Good food site. I'll write it up and link back shortly. (possibly tomorrow now. I can hardly keep my eyes open at the moment and need to tend to a sick bird (its that time of day) and the fire, it goes dark soon and I need to save it before it goes out...) but basically a cauliflower made into rice and all the water squeezed out, 100g or so of Almond meal (the original says ground almonds which are hard to get in Australia but almond meal is readily available in most supermarkets!) and 2 eggs beaten, plus 1tbsp dried oregano and salt and pepper. mix together, spread out into a pizza crust roughly 30cm/12 inches in diameter and bake in a hot oven (200C) for 15-17 mins. add toppings and cook for another 10-15mins in a hotter hoven (220C). I used the sliced field mushrooms to contain the eggs. I slightly overcooked them due to our oven only going to Gas 5 (and 200C is Gas 6) and me misjudging how much extra time they needed. Tomorrow it will be done in the pizza oven which is an open fire so timings will be even more interesting but shorter!

OK - I have quickly written it up (Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Mushrooms, Onions, Coconut Oil Cheese and Eggs). Really simple tbh. I used Almond meal, which is what is left (for others because I expect you know) after almond milk has been made and then the remaining 'solids' dried out. The original calls for ground almonds which would up the calorie count. It worked really well with almond meal and is a great way of using it up. We will definitely make it again. I would also add some greens to the inside of the other 2 mushroom triangles next time (I was using them to contain 2 eggs which us sharing it - normally a single egg would just be cracked straight into the middle of the pizza so no issues with how far it runs, which is not very normally!)

OK - I have quickly written it up (Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Mushrooms, Onions, Coconut Oil Cheese and Eggs). Really simple tbh. I used Almond meal, which is what is left (for others because I expect you know) after almond milk has been made and then the remaining 'solids' dried out. The original calls for ground almonds which would up the calorie count. It worked really well with almond meal and is a great way of using it up. We will definitely make it again. I would also add some greens to the inside of the other 2 mushroom triangles next time (I was using them to contain 2 eggs which us sharing it - normally a single egg would just be cracked straight into the middle of the pizza so no issues with how far it runs, which is not very normally!)
Thanks, I'll save that recipe. I've got ground almonds and I would use ordinary cheddar cheese. I usually make 12" pizzas just for me (!) but lately have been sharing a little bit with the mutt - his end of it doesn't have any onion on it :laugh:.

Grilled mushrooms on garlic bread - it was supposed to be a snack for the Formula 1 race this evening in Bahrain but I (and my wife) ate it 6 hours ahead of lights out!

mushrooms garlic bread 3 s.jpg

My lunch to day - less than 100 Kcals soup. I'm not pretending its a gourmet sensation but its a great low cal soup if you are trying to lose weight!

IMGP1866.jpg

For tonight's meal - using the half leg of lamb - I've decided to go with a tried, successful recipe I have. It involves piercing the leg and inserting garlic slivers, smearing the lamb's surface in butter and placing the leg on a rack, over a tin. Underneath this will be boulangere style potatoes (i.e. finely sliced, interspersed with onion slices and half covered in lamb stock. The meat juices and melted butter will drip into this, adding flavour. It will probably look quite ordinary so I doubt that I will take a photo. Having it with sliced runner beans.

That's how I cook my leg o' lamb, creative. I also add a tiny sprig of rosemary into each slot with the garlic so it's sticking out a little bit.

I made breakfast from my family this morning. Eggs over easy atop sliced london broil for my boy and I, and a tomato, onion and eggwhite omelette for the Mrs..

Happy Easter, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom