What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easter Sunday called for roast leg of lamb. Originally planned to do kleftico but was drawn back to a more traditional roast by the prospect of rich gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. I stuck with the slow cooking theme though - 5 hours @ 140°. 8 hours @ 120° would have been better but there wasn't time before guests arrived. Along with the mash we had peas and asparagus with wilted wild garlic. Mrs E. had been up early making rhubarb panna cotta which was a real treat. She upped the stakes even more in the evening with a sumptuous asparagus and stilton soup. I had been wondering what the ever growing collection of woody asparagus stalks in the fridge was for. Happy days

Boring old cod and chips again. One of the few things I miss from Yorkshire though.

fish and chips april 2 s.jpg

fish and chips april 3 s.jpg

Easter Sunday called for roast leg of lamb. Originally planned to do kleftico but was drawn back to a more traditional roast by the prospect of rich gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. I stuck with the slow cooking theme though - 5 hours @ 140°. 8 hours @ 120° would have been better but there wasn't time before guests arrived. Along with the mash we had peas and asparagus with wilted wild garlic. Mrs E. had been up early making rhubarb panna cotta which was a real treat. She upped the stakes even more in the evening with a sumptuous asparagus and stilton soup. I had been wondering what the ever growing collection of woody asparagus stalks in the fridge was for. Happy days

Kleftiko. That is something I haven't cooked or eaten for a very long time. I must dig out my recipe for it which was given to me by a Greek friend.

My list of questions:
  • What is San Daniele ham? Ok, I could look it up.
  • Stuffed boiled eggs. What is the stuffing?
  • Fiore sardo cheese (directly from Sardegna)? What kind of cheese is that? OK I could google it.
  • Roast veal flavoured with myrtle leaves? Myrtle leaves - we don't get them here. What do they taste like?
  • Sparkling wine and myrtle (liquor from Sardegna)? Is this a liqueur made from myrtle? I want some...

1. San Daniele is a seasoned raw ham very prestigious from Friuli Venezia Giulia, a region in the nord est of Italy.
  2. Stuffed boiled eggs some with tuna, capers and mayonese homemade (I prepared it myself) and some with boiled yolks and asparagus.
  3. Fiore sardo cheese, it's a typical cheese from Sardegna made with sheep's milk. This cheese is lightly smokescreen. Smells and aromas are intense.
    Fiore-Sardo-Dop-300x300.jpg
4. Roast veal flavoured with myrtle leaves.
mirto_NG6.jpg

Myrtle leaves are very used in Sardegna, it is an evergreen plant and grow up mostly in Sardegna and Corsica and you can found a type of myrtle also in Toscana (called mortella) but without berries.The leaves have a balsamic smell. Usually the branches and the leaves are burnt in the barbecues to give the meats a delicate aroma.
5. Yes myrtle liquor is a classic liquor from Sardegna made with berries. My cousins in Sardegna prepared it and is very good, also a little spicy note.

Last edited:
are you looking for this leaves? I used it to fried with eggs a lot when I was in China , It is called Zanthoxylum acording to wikipedia, but we Chinese call it Sichuanese Peppercorn.
we also use the seeds a lot when we cook ,especially BBQ.
This is the photo of the seeds.
and I bought it in Chinese store in UK.

1. San Daniele is a seasoned raw ham very prestigious from Friuli Venezia Giulia, a region in the nord est of Italy.
  2. Stuffed boiled eggs some with tuna, capers and mayonese homemade (I prepared it myself) and some with boiled yolks and asparagus.

The San Danielle ham we get here is an air cured ham much like a prosciutto di Parma (crudo). Would that be the same?

Your eggs sound delicious! Like a super devilled egg.

The San Danielle ham we get here is an air cured ham much like a prosciutto di Parma (crudo). Would that be the same?

Your eggs sound delicious! Like a super devilled egg.
Oh thank you, I enjoy stuffing eggs and it's very simple to do. I've also tried to make eyes with black olives but they looked black boxer eyes.. so, I ate them!

I can imagine this because San Daniele ham is very exported from Italy to USA :okay:..well, is not the same but similar...(also prosciutto crudo di Parma is very good!)
They have a lot in common, but they are different for salting and seasoning.
The dry air that comes down from the mountains and the Friulian hills makes the San Daniele hams soak faster, infact San Daniele has a smell and a more complex aroma already for 20 months of seasoning.

In general, however, the air that dries the thighs of Parma ham is wet, which slows down the maturing process, but at the same time allows for a softer product. Parma is in a very damp area...

Last edited:

I have never eaten or tasted the rhubarb .. I'm curious though because I noticed it is often used in your recipes.
Stilton is a type of English herb cheese that seems to me, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom