What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking large plain pie is a pizza with a plain topping - just tomatoes and mozzarella maybe? I only thought this because of that song - when the moons in the sky, like a.... etc.

I'm thinking large plain pie is a pizza with a plain topping - just tomatoes and mozzarella maybe? I only thought this because of that song - when the moons in the sky, like a.... etc.
Down here, if you ordered a plain pizza, you would get a crust. That would be plain. If you want cheese you order a cheese pizza.
Now I am guessing that buckytom is talking about an actual pizzeria. Not a crust with toppings and just baked in a large oven. We have 5 places that sell "pizza". Two out of 5 save money by making the dough at least 1 centimeter thick and all are skimpy on toppings. One does thin crusts and I am not sure about the other two because one is a guaranteed pizza in 5 minutes, sorry I don't do heat lamp pizza.
And the last one is a big chain that is more interested in how fast they can fold boxes and letting you track your pizza.

A plain pie is just sauce and cheese. No other toppings except a pinch of herbs (dried oregano and savory).

The rogan josh is from a jar. :ohmy:

You just sautee some cubed chicken until browned a bit, dump in the sauce and simmer until cooked through. Serve over basmati rice with slivers of onion and a toasted naan. It's surprisingly good.

Yes, the naan is store bought as well. :unsure:

I wonder, what kind of oil is used in Indian cooking? I'll be using grapeseed since it's a high temp, neutral flavored oil that has similar benefits as olive oil.

A plain pie is just sauce and cheese. No other toppings except a pinch of herbs (dried oregano and savory).

You just sautee some cubed chicken until browned a bit, dump in the sauce and simmer until cooked through. Serve over basmati rice with slivers of onion and a toasted naan. It's surprisingly good.

I wonder, what kind of oil is used in Indian cooking? I'll be using grapeseed since it's a high temp, neutral flavored oil that has similar benefits as olive oil.
That pizza sounds good.

Down here, if you ordered a plain pizza, you would get a crust. That would be plain. If you want cheese you order a cheese pizza.
Now I am guessing that buckytom is talking about an actual pizzeria. Not a crust with toppings and just baked in a large oven. We have 5 places that sell "pizza". Two out of 5 save money by making the dough at least 1 centimeter thick and all are skimpy on toppings. One does thin crusts and I am not sure about the other two because one is a guaranteed pizza in 5 minutes, sorry I don't do heat lamp pizza.
And the last one is a big chain that is more interested in how fast they can fold boxes and letting you track your pizza.

Yes, a cheese pizza, but Neopolitan style. That is thin crust, sweet and savory sauce, not too much cheese. I know a lot of people think that's a rip off, but if all of the ingredients are high quality, it's delicious.

We often order a margherita pie, which is thin crust that is first blind baked with just a thin, scattered layer of sauce, then fresh slices of tomato are added, and it's topped with slices of fresh "water"mozzarella (not the standard low moisture stuff. More like mozzarella di bufala) and torn fresh basil, and then it's baked until done.

Or a grandma pie, which is similar to the margherita but is square in shape, medium crust, but it is blind baked with garlic infused evoo, then the rest of a margherita pie is executed with tje sauce, fresh tomatoes, and water mozz.

I kid you not, the NYC area is the only place in the world that rivals Italy for best pizzas.

Chicago style is frankenstein pizza.

Often vegetable oil such as rapeseed is used but also ghee which gives a great flavour. I really must post a basic curry recipe for beginners to curry - OTOH perhaps Rogan Josh is another candidate for the Cookalong?

We often order a margherita pie, which is thin crust that is first blind baked with just a thin, scattered layer of sauce, then fresh slices of tomato are added, and it's topped with slices of fresh "water"mozzarella (not the standard low moisture stuff. More like mozzarella di bufala) and torn fresh basil, and then it's baked until done.

Or a grandma pie, which is similar to the margherita but is square in shape, medium crust, but it is blind baked with garlic infused evoo, then the rest of a margherita pie is executed with tje sauce, fresh tomatoes, and water mozz.

I kid you not, the NYC area is the only place in the world that rivals Italy for best pizzas.

Chicago style is frankenstein pizza.
I am not sure what we have here but it doesn't sound like your pizzas. You are making me want a good pizza.

For the current semolina ingredient challenge and to go with my chilli sans carne!

DSC_0190_1024.JPG

DSC_0203_1024.JPG

Yes, Crisco really is the old way, but I'm trying not to die so soon, so corn, vegetable, or canola oil is how I do,it.
Interestingly, it seems there is no such thing as vegetable oil as vegetables do not make oil. I will leave you to Google if interested - or we could start a new thread.

Interestingly, it seems there is no such thing as vegetable oil as vegetables do not make oil. I will leave you to Google if interested - or we could start a new thread.
If you read the label there is a good chance that vegetable oil is actually soybean oil. Now as to a vegetable oil, I used olive oil the other day in my spaghetti. I also have avocado oil but that might be a fruit and to keep this on topic, tonight will be steaks marinated in olive oil and other stuff.

Yes, a cheese pizza, but Neopolitan style. That is thin crust, sweet and savory sauce, not too much cheese. I know a lot of people think that's a rip off, but if all of the ingredients are high quality, it's delicious.

Oh that's curious...here Pizza Napoli is high and has only tomato sauce, mozzarella and anchovies....and after this prepared to drink a lot of water for the next 2/3 days!

No anchovies on Naples style pizza here (that is an option), but yes, just sauce and cheese.

When you say high, I wonder if we are discussing the same thing. The edges are thick, but the overall crust is no more than 3 or 4 mm.

Here is how Wiki describes it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_pizza

To us, a really high crust is Sicillian style.

If you read the label there is a good chance that vegetable oil is actually soybean oil. Now as to a vegetable oil, I used olive oil the other day in my spaghetti. I also have avocado oil but that might be a fruit and to keep this on topic, tonight will be steaks marinated in olive oil and other stuff.

Agreed. Vegetable oil is a general term to describe a mix of a few of the following oils: sunflower, corn, safflower, canola, and soybean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom