What did you cook or eat today (August 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appetizer for MrsT’s birthday:

IMG_9192.jpeg
IMG_9193.jpeg
IMG_9194.jpeg

By way of The Man of Elegant Simplicity, Jacques Pepin.

I made one of those big ole overstuffed American style omelets. MrOH ate half and I had about 1/4 of it. Too much food for me this early in the day. It's got sauteed peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spinach with bacon, goat cheese, cheddar, American, and Monterey Jack. Very good. Here's my portion:
20240825_144348.jpg

Yeah, monkfish is an acquired taste. They looked grotesque and smelled awful in the the Lofoten Islands where we saw them airdrying by the coast.

View attachment 117803
I love monkfish but it was defo seriously off.
Other people had left bad reviews for it saying it was off and only bin worthy but being me I thought well that's a supply chain issue and a serious one so they will have stopped selling it or rectified that by now, so I went ahead and bought it anyway 🙄

So, the tzatziki is a dip for the wings? That sounds pretty good, especially if they got some heat to them.
It was surprisingly good, when the heat from the wings got a bit much the cold tzatziki was a lovely contrast.
Ate a lot more tzatziki than I normally do because the cold clean tasting cucumber went well with the hot fatty wings 👍

Strawberry and cream frappuccino for breakfast.
Think I'm just going to call them smoothies, frappuccino sounds a bit pretentious and there's no coffee in it so it's a weird name!
Seemed to sooth everyone's sore heads this morning.

Not the best dressed Sunday dinner in the world but it worked.
Had to get the pizza plates out because the half chickens were on offer for £2.50 each so everyone got half a chicken in preparation for Sunday afternoon food stupor.
IMG_4018.jpeg

I reckon the chicken is half price because the cooking instructions are wrong. They stated 50 mins at 220 degrees (428F) I looked at the spices they'd heaped on the skin and thought, they'll burn badly at that temp so went with 45mins at 180 (356F) instead.
As you can see it still tipped into black in some areas but my lot don't eat the skin so meh.

IMG_4021.jpeg

Scampi and tartare sauce sandwich this evening.
Fodder for appeasing the hangover gods.

Yeah, monkfish is an acquired taste. They looked grotesque and smelled awful in the the Lofoten Islands where we saw them airdrying by the coast.

View attachment 117803

It shouldn't smell bad at all (as I'm sure SandwichShortOfAPicnic will affirm) and (in this country at least) its certainly not in the acquired taste category. Its a wonderful firm fleshed fish which has quite a mild flavour. Only the tail is used which has one central bone - so no little bones.

I don't quite know what they are doing air drying monkfish. I've never heard of such a thing. Are you sure that is monkfish?

I do know about air drying in the Lofoten islands but not heard of monkfish being used

Last edited:
It shouldn't smell bad at all (as I'm sure SandwichShortOfAPicnic will affirm) and (in this country at least) its certainly not in the acquired taste category. Its a wonderful firm fleshed fish which has quite a mild flavour. Only the tail is used which has one central bone - so no little bones.

I don't quite know what they are doing air drying monkfish. I've never heard of such a thing. Are you sure that is monkfish?
Yeah I have bought it and it's quite mild in flavor. I did have to remove a membrane if I remember correctly. I have seen it referred to as "poor man's lobster". Never heard of it air drying, either.

Yer it's not a stinky fish. But I'm not actually aware of any fish that really smells when it's fresh?
Seafood yes but fish should only smell of the sea, so a very very mild smell.
However I bet that place SNSSO visited reeked to high heaven!

The fish I binned I'd only half opened the packet, the first waft was enough of a warning so I took it straight away to the bin outside.
When I got back to the kitchen inspite of it being breezy and the door being open it still smelt strongly of fish!

Last edited:
I double checked. It's stockfish I'm thinking of.
It is hung outside during the winter to air dry in the winter gales.

Drying Skrei Stockfish in Reine | Friday Photo #533 | Lofoten Islands Norway

Stockfish – Tørrfisk – Dried stockfish is the end result of the skrei that is caught and hung to dry in the cold and windy winter climate of Lofoten. While much of the skrei caught each winter is exported as fresh/frozen fish, the tradition of drying stockfish still continues to this day, and is also a popular menu item around Lofoten.

All stockfish is hung by hand, after two fish have been tied together in the factory. The winter climate of Lofoten, with temperates averaging around 0˚c and a near constant wind, provide perfect conditions for air drying the skrei. Too cold and with outside of the fish freezes before it can dry and too warm and it become rotten and mouldy. Though like any crop, so years are better than others for stockfish production and quality.

Traditionally, the stockfish was often hung on wooden racks on small rocky outcroppings such as in the above photo.

Yer it's not a stinky fish. But I'm not actually aware of any fish that really smells when it's fresh?
Seafood yes but fish should only smell of the sea, so very a very mild smell.
However I bet that place SNSSO visited reeked to high heaven!

The fish I binned I'd only half opened the packet, the first waft was enough of a warning so I took it straight away to the bin outside.
When I got back to the kitchen inspite of it being breezy and the door being open it still melt strongly of fish!
I've added a link. I'm thinking of stockfish. It's a traditional food preservation technique north of the Arctic Circle

Yeah I have bought it and it's quite mild in flavor. I did have to remove a membrane if I remember correctly. I have seen it referred to as "poor man's lobster". Never heard of it air drying, either.

That's right. It has a tough membrane. A good fishmonger will remove it. I suppose its likely that its air dried in the Lofoten Islands since it can be fished around there and I think they air dry most fish. Its famous for it as they have the right mix of atmosphere/climate so no preservatives are needed. Dried fish does tend to smell - but not fresh fish that is sold here.

I've added a link. I'm thinking of stockfish. It's a traditional food preservation technique north of the Arctic Circle
You find dried and preserved fish in some places you wouldn't expect don't you.
I would never have expected Spain to have such an abundance or dried fish but there's all sorts of blocks of it in the majority of shops. Usually in end of aisle displays.
But then I don't think I'd fancy 'fresh' fish in the middle of Spain traipsed inland from the coast in hot temps before refrigeration existed 😮

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom