What did you cook or eat today (December 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pork and fennel ragu. Used part of the slow and low oven roasted pork butt from the other day. Garnished with pecorino romano, fennel pollen and fennel fronds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get to speak foreign languages often. Thanks for stimulating some German which I have found to be very rarely spoken in the US, except by the occasional tourists from Germany and some time ago, by some folks who owned and operated a wonderful German Restaurant.

I took a break from hibernation to have lunch with a couple of neighbors/friends. We went to a local Diner for some "homestyle" cooking. I had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and fried okra, and with a covering of white gravy. I'm not going to be able to eat like that for a while, so I wanted to "go out with a bang." It was good. It was a whole day's worth of food, so no dinner tonight.

CD

Mellow Yellow Turmeric Chicken Burger - before the recipe challenge, I thought that turmeric had limited uses. My fellow cooks prove me wrong with every post, and I am learning a lot about this wonderful spice with everything I try making. In this case, I ground chicken from wing and drumstick meat (getting enough meat took some time, as you can imagine). Then, I mixed a bunch of powdered turmeric with jalapeño peppers, pimentos, portobello mushrooms, and red onion.

I topped it with a fried egg, and of course the harissa I recently entered into the challenge. This was ridiculously good. I won’t enter it in the contest, because there’s not much of a recipe here. But, I am definitely going to make this again.

I needed to produce some hand made treats to give out to fellow volunteers at a charity I do bits for. I remembered these, that MypinchofItaly posted a few days ago, and they fitted the bill perfectly. I modified the recipe a bit - I used mandarins instead of tangerines, and I soaked them in Cointreau before dipping them in chocolate. Delicious.

Chocolate-Dipped Tangerines – MyPinchofItaly.co.uk

I needed to produce some hand made treats to give out to fellow volunteers at a charity I do bits for. I remembered these, that MypinchofItaly posted a few days ago, and they fitted the bill perfectly. I modified the recipe a bit - I used mandarins instead of tangerines, and I soaked them in Cointreau before dipping them in chocolate. Delicious.
View attachment 53125
Chocolate-Dipped Tangerines – MyPinchofItaly.co.uk

Oh, they look great and thanks a lot for the mention 😊
I’ll try them again with white chocolate as you made! Brilliant 👍

I don't get to speak foreign languages often. Thanks for stimulating some German which I have found to be very rarely spoken in the US, except by the occasional tourists from Germany and some time ago, by some folks who owned and operated a wonderful German Restaurant.
My German is a notch above tourist level. You'd think it would be better, as I've had a few years of classroom instruction, but I'm a complacent learner, and once I got to the point of being able to make dinner reservations, watch a movie (with German subtitles on), and tell the young woman next to me at the bar "Was für ein schönes Dirndl, das du trägst!" I was good to go. :)

I'm fortunate, though, to live near a city (Cincinnati) that is spilling over with German culture, and it's not unusual at all to hear German spoken here, especially if you're going to one of the German specialty places (butcher, baker, etc). In earlier times, I used to go to a weekly German language night, where people would gather in a local German restaurant, both native and non-native speakers, with the charge that, for the duration of the night, no English was to be spoken. I learned more at those than in class. :)

We also have several German culture/heritage clubs in the area, and at those, you'll hear a lot of German spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom