What did you cook or eat today (December 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made white chocolate & strawberry fudge. Recipe - Slowcooker white chocolate & strawberry fudge and posted the recipe here.

My German is a notch above tourist level. You'd think it would be better, as I've had a few years of classroom instruction, but I'm a complacent learner, and once I got to the point of being able to make dinner reservations, watch a movie (with German subtitles on), and tell the young woman next to me at the bar "Was für ein schönes Dirndl, das du trägst!" I was good to go. :)

I'm fortunate, though, to live near a city (Cincinnati) that is spilling over with German culture, and it's not unusual at all to hear German spoken here, especially if you're going to one of the German specialty places (butcher, baker, etc). In earlier times, I used to go to a weekly German language night, where people would gather in a local German restaurant, both native and non-native speakers, with the charge that, for the duration of the night, no English was to be spoken. I learned more at those than in class. :)

We also have several German culture/heritage clubs in the area, and at those, you'll hear a lot of German spoken.
In Jr. High School in California, I took German. We had to pick our "German name", by which we'd be referred while in class. I picked Wilhelm, because Colonel Klink on Hogan's Heroes was named Wilhelm.

My high school in Maryland didn't have it, but I was able to take it in College. I created a skit for class based on Bob and Doug McKenzie (of the Great White North, on Second City TV), where I uttered the popular phrase, "Wie geht's, eh?" (my translation of the McKenzie brothers' "How's it going, eh?")

On my honeymoon, I went to a French-German border town, Henridorff, which was where my wife's mom's family originated. The maps weren't very good, and it was before the navigation app on the phone, so I stopped to ask for directions. "Parlez vous anglais?" I asked. He said, "No, but I speak a little bit of German." We proceeded to converse in both of our broken versions of German while he gave me directions.

I did try speaking when I went to Frankfurt 2 years ago, but I was still happy to use Google Translate on my phone.

I sincerely apologize for what I have done to the German language over the years.

In Jr. High School in California, I took German. We had to pick our "German name", by which we'd be referred while in class. I picked Wilhelm, because Colonel Klink on Hogan's Heroes was named Wilhelm.

My high school in Maryland didn't have it, but I was able to take it in College. I created a skit for class based on Bob and Doug McKenzie (of the Great White North, on Second City TV), where I uttered the popular phrase, "Wie geht's, eh?" (my translation of the McKenzie brothers' "How's it going, eh?")

On my honeymoon, I went to a French-German border town, Henridorff, which was where my wife's mom's family originated. The maps weren't very good, and it was before the navigation app on the phone, so I stopped to ask for directions. "Parlez vous anglais?" I asked. He said, "No, but I speak a little bit of German." We proceeded to converse in both of our broken versions of German while he gave me directions.

I did try speaking when I went to Frankfurt 2 years ago, but I was still happy to use Google Translate on my phone.

I sincerely apologize for what I have done to the German language over the years.

I had to take four semesters of foreign language in college/university. That was 35 years ago. If you don't use it, you lose it. I can read a Mexican menu, and basically get it, but that's about all.

CD

Today's been Festive Appetizer Day.

We watched a few Christmas-themed programs on PBS, all dealing with European Christmas markets, and had gluhwein while we watched those, and some bacon-wrapped water chestnuts baked in a sweet-salty glaze (liver-less rumaki).

Later, I made Hungry Man's garlic bread, and after that, bacon-wrapped, almond-stuffed prunes (variation of devils on horseback).

Finally, ended the night with vanilla popcorn (salty popcorn tossed in a quick caramel coating).

All sounds definitely delicious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom