What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brown and beige ensemble! I've not much idea what it all is except presumably there is chicken in there somewhere...
Brown and beige deliciousness! Popeyes fried chicken is wonderful. There's a biscuit and some red beans and rice. I've never had their red beans and rice but I'd guess it's good.

Garlic & cheese mashed potatoes, smoked paprika chicken and mixed roast vegetables
20240712_121605.jpg

A brown and beige ensemble! I've not much idea what it all is except presumably there is chicken in there somewhere...
That’s a fried chicken thigh, a fried chicken leg (why don’t they call it a calf? :laugh: ), some red beans and rice (which are very, very good, JAS_OH1 ), and a buttermilk biscuit.

Beige goes with everything, so it’s all good! :laugh:

Dinner last night for the mystery shop was at Voodoo Bayou. Overall, eh, okay. Won't go back though because of the 40 minute one-way drive mostly on interstate plus parking was a b!t(h since it's located on a street with lots of trendy shops and restaurants. They have art fairs and various other events on that street and close it several times a year. Decor was very nice and reminiscent of NOLA/Bourbon Street nicer bars and lounges.
20240711_183157.jpg

20240711_183255.jpg

I had a Black Magic lemonade. Made with Bourbon, a lemonade mix, which was a bit tart, a big blackberry, and some other things, but drink was good. That's a sprig of rosemary that's been charred and is smoking. Oh, straw is metal.
20240711_181510.jpg

Craig had gumbo and we split BBQ shrimp for appetizers. Gumbo was great surprisingly. BBQ shrimp was okay, wojkd have been a lot better if someone had used restraint with the lemon juice. I forgot to take pictures until after Craig had started.
20240711_183414.jpg

20240711_182542.jpg

Rest of pics below, ran out of allowed pictures.

Last edited:
Forgot to post a pic of 1 corner. Hard to see, but they had a set up of a voodoo shop with potions and magic books on the shelves, voodoo dolls, etc.
20240711_185900.jpg

Mains were a shrimp po'boy for me with red beans and rice, and jambalaya for Craig. The po'boy was pretty good. Could have used a few more shrimp for the price. The red beans and rice had these huge slices of andouille in them that were chewy and tough, how you manage that with sausage I don't know, and the casing was stringy and didn't break down when chewing. There was a little too much cayenne in it for me so I was kind of surprised, especially since there was hot sauce on the table to add if you wanted. Taste otherwise was okay. Craig said the rice in his jambalaya was really wet so wasn't happy about that, but said taste was okay otherwise.
20240711_185114.jpg

20240711_184902.jpg

Overall, service was good and food was okay, but not worth going back for due to drive, parking, and value.

So far a tomato!
Waiting for my shopping delivery but stopped at Brockley Coombe on my way because they sell Isle of Wight tomatoes.
Real tomatoes picked when they’re ripe and delivered by their own drivers so they don’t get spoiled.
Obviously pricier than you’re average tomato but I don’t even look at the price now cos I’M HAVING THEM 😂
IMG_3496.jpeg

and a local home grown cucumber which wasn’t the best looking thing but interested to see how it tastes.
The peppers were glorious, don’t know what I’m going to do with it, may change my thoughts on the next pizza topping 👏

Forgot to post a pic of 1 corner. Hard to see, but they had a set up of a voodoo shop with potions and magic books on the shelves, voodoo dolls, etc.
View attachment 115919

Mains were a shrimp po'boy for me with red beans and rice, and jambalaya for Craig. The po'boy was pretty good. Could have used a few more shrimp for the price. The red beans and rice had these huge slices of andouille in them that were chewy and tough, how you manage that with sausage I don't know, and the casing was stringy and didn't break down when chewing. There was a little too much cayenne in it for me so I was kind of surprised, especially since there was hot sauce on the table to add if you wanted. Taste otherwise was okay. Craig said the rice in his jambalaya was really wet so wasn't happy about that, but said taste was okay otherwise.
View attachment 115920
View attachment 115921

Overall, service was good and food was okay, but not worth going back for due to drive, parking, and value.
Well it looks like a really cool place, too bad it isn't closer and they didn't pay closer attention to execution. It's sad when you go out to eat and you know you could do better at home (and I know that you can). And, even though you are getting reimbursed for it, it sucks writing negative reports. I love it when places do everything right so that there is less writing involved, LOL!

So far a tomato!
Waiting for my shopping delivery but stopped at Brockley Coombe on my way because they sell Isle of Wight tomatoes.
Real tomatoes picked when they’re ripe and delivered by their own drivers so they don’t get spoiled.
Obviously pricier than you’re average tomato but I don’t even look at the price now cos I’M HAVING THEM 😂
View attachment 115922
and a local home grown cucumber which wasn’t the best looking thing but interested to see how it tastes.
The peppers were glorious, don’t know what I’m going to do with it, may change my thoughts on the next pizza topping 👏
Those cucumbers are great. They are the only ones I buy (seedless cucumbers AKA English cucumbers). Even though they call them seedless, they really aren't completely seedless of course (as you likely well know) but they are much less wet and the seeds are much, much smaller than the other varieties.

Those tomatoes look pretty awesome, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom