What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last night I had DH plug in the electric smoker. I had found a large 2 lb slab of salmon filet for only $5.99 lb. I did a dry brine of kosher salt and brown sugar for that, then brushed off the excess residue before he put it in the smoker. It turned out great. We had smoked salmon and salad with fresh greens from the garden (and store bought ripe romas and English cucumber) for dinner. I also did 1 lb of peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp with Cajun and garlic seasoning, butter, and olive oil. It was amazing!

I’ve just eaten Marks and Spencers gluten free lasagne, ordered because knew I’d be too tired to cook.
It microwaves in four minutes.
I was filled with dread when I scooped it from its carton, it was soupy and ahoy (meaning the layers were at sea) and had a trickle of orange oil that didn’t appeal.
Sometimes really low expectations are a good thing because it tasted good.. for a soupy under-cheesed microwave meal 😂

IMG_3498.jpeg

My eldest cooked dinner yesterday, pie and chips. He couldn’t find his favourite pie in the supermarket that has blue cheese in it so he bought a beef and ale pie, yanked the lid off whilst still piping hot and threw in a fat disc off blacksticks blue and put the lid back on for it to melt.
Then he crumbled another round over the chips.
I took the pic before he cheesed the chips.
It worked well, the disc was just the right size and melted beautifully.
From now on it’s going to be requests for cheese and pies, shame cheese and crackers are easier 😂

IMG_2304.jpeg

Buckwheat couscous vanilla soy pudding topped with grapefruit nectarine compote, cocoa powder, fresh nectarine slice and pecans. Sweetened with liquid stevia...

It will be a challenge entry, but I'll write the recipe later or tomorrow...

I love the taste and texture, reminds me of grits. Fell in love with the scent of buckwheat couscous, earthy sort of. The cocoa and tangy compote lovely contrast, as well as the Fresh juicy nectarine.

Very pleased.

Ate one of the two,plus the untidy little "Cinderella" test bowl of the pudding after supper.

20240712_201314.jpg
20240712_201324.jpg
20240712_201514.jpg
20240712_200045.jpg

When you say you made them up, do you mean you created something that doesn't already exist or do you mean you just made them? They look really interesting!
I can't say whether it is in a recipe book somewhere, but I just threw the three things together to see if they would work.

Well it looks like a really cool place, too bad it isn't closer and they didn't pay closer attention to execution. It's sad when you go out to eat and you know you could do better at home (and I know that you can). And, even though you are getting reimbursed for it, it sucks writing negative reports. I love it when places do everything right so that there is less writing involved, LOL!
To be fair, other than the poor quality of and/or whatever they did to the andouille, nothing was bad, just could have been better. I had just a taste of the gumbo but we were both surprised at just how good it was, nearly as good as our homemade. The other stuff was personal preference stuff and being spoiled by what we make at home and have tweaked to make it perfect for us.

They were a bit expensive, that little bit of gumbo, dish was maybe 6 inches long and very shallow, was $12. My po'boy was $20 and had in total 8 pieces of small shrimp. That cocktail I had was $16 and there wasn't a lot of Bourbon in it, even though server warned me it was Bourbon forward and asked if that would be okay. The white wine brand I usually order was $2-3 more expensive per glass than in restaurants we frequent. I looked just to compare.

Oh, didn't mention previously, but they have an automatic 18% service charge they add. It's on the menu in small print, where it's stated it all goes to service staff. The hostess also told us about it as she was seating us. I added a few bucks in cash to bring it up to what we normally tip since service was decent.

Last edited:
To be fair, other than the poor quality of and/or whatever they did to the andouille, nothing was bad, just could have been better. I had just a taste of the gumbo but we were both surprised at just how good it was, nearly as good as our homemade. The other stuff was personal preference stuff and being spoiled by what we make at home and have tweaked to make it perfect for us.

They were a bit expensive, that little bit of gumbo, dish was maybe 6 inches long and very shallow, was $12. My po'boy was $20 and had in total 8 pieces of small shrimp. That cocktail I had was $16 and there wasn't a lot of Bourbon in it, even though server warned me it was Bourbon forward and asked if that would be okay. The white wine brand I usually order was $2-3 more expensive per glass than in restaurants we frequent. I looked just to compare.

Oh, didn't mention previously, but they have an automatic 18% service charge they add. It's on the menu in small print, where it's stated it all goes to service staff. The hostess also told us about it as she was seating us. I added a few bucks in cash to bring it up to what we normally tip since service was decent.

We dont tip here in nz but I will if we get good service from wait staff. Normally young girls. I will leave $20

Russ

Buckwheat couscous vanilla soy pudding topped with grapefruit nectarine compote, cocoa powder, fresh nectarine slice and pecans. Sweetened with liquid stevia...

It will be a challenge entry, but I'll write the recipe later or tomorrow...

I love the taste and texture, reminds me of grits. Fell in love with the scent of buckwheat couscous, earthy sort of. The cocoa and tangy compote lovely contrast, as well as the Fresh juicy nectarine.

Very pleased.

Ate one of the two,plus the untidy little "Cinderella" test bowl of the pudding after supper.

View attachment 115930View attachment 115931View attachment 115932View attachment 115933
That's very creative!

Well, there were 5 small to medium ribs. I couldn't eat a second egg roll if I had one. LOL. Plus, I don't really like reheated ribs or egg rolls.
I reheat eggrolls in my air fryer/toaster oven and they heat up well. I think ribs taste the same when reheated in the microwave as they do any other way, but eggrolls in the microwave get soggy.

Sheet pan meal in oven. Chicken thighs, criminis, carrots, parsnips for Craig, broccoli and small red potatoes. The vegetables were all steamed for a few minutes to parcook and then I tossed everything in a mixture of white wine, fresh thyme, S and P, and some EVOO. Everything but broccoli on the sheet pan in groups, baked at 400 F for 15 minutes, added the broccoli, then 15 minutes more. Pretty easy, minimal mess and good!

20240712_183845.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom