What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Goodness, I did not expect that...thank you very much! And I have sooo much to learn yet! And am so grateful to have found and been a part of this forum! It's the longest and richest cooking masterclass and the loveliest learning curve for me, and her, indirectly. Possibly.

On her own, she is also very informed through the internet...

But thank you🥰💖💖
I too have been happy to have found this place where we can all come together and share our experiences, cultures, and the common ground of our love for food!

We fetched a gluten free cake each, and sat at a downtown park, briefly, then strolled around as the evening fell upon the city...

We have not met in a long time, so it was overdue. We share a 25+ year friendship. We were roommates, back when...she was my Maid of honour in my first marriage. A loyal friend throughout.

Lovely chat.

This cake was gorgeous, walnut based, some chestnut and chocolate.

20240719_203133.jpg

On our walk we saw these stunning folk artists in costumes, it was the Opening of the International folk dance and song festival...

20240719_205236.jpg

Looks amazing! Brava!
What a good combination of flavours, I imagine.
I reckon the garlic pork combination must be delicious too!
Thanks 😊
The garlic pork is the one that’s being eaten at the moment and it’s going down very well.
But tbh all of the sandwich meat I’ve made so far has been very well received (“best sandwiches ever”) because it actually tastes of meat and you add the spices/herbs you like rather than eating some strange thin cut salt/sugar meat emulsion.

Don’t get me wrong I like the strange salt/ sugar emulsions too, I’m just aware of what’s in them.

It’s also saves me a bomb. The diced pork was on special offer at £5.50 kilo and mince is around £5-6 a kilo whereas a kilo of sandwich meat here will cost you between £20 - £40 per kilo depending on what you choose.

So yesterday I made up 4 kilos of sandwich meat for around £25. That would have been a minimum of £80 if I’d bought the cheapest pre-made sandwich meat.

The real bonus is there are no nasties in it, I know I’m not loading my children with sulphites, nitrites or other nasties.

yesterday I made up 4 kilos of sandwich meat for around £25. That would have been a minimum of £80 if I’d bought the cheapest pre-made sandwich meat.

The real bonus is there are no nasties in it, I know I’m not loading my children with sulphites, nitrites or other nasties.
That is fantastic!

The additives are nasty, so true.
A coworker of mine healed her arthritis-like joint pain ( she is under 30 y old) and her skin rashes (eczema?) by skipping store bought commercial processed meats ( pepperoni etc).

Amazing to hear her talk.

SAndwich meat really being meat is awesome. And it apparently leaves so much room for invention and creation. Having new varieties every now and then is superb!

Must admit, was thinking about getting the equipment for me too, inspired by your gorgeous home production.

I might wait a little though, or might put it on my Christmas wishlist...

Truly inspiring!

And thank you for the junior cooking advic e, so far works like a charm! We struggle with tidiness, on schedule and other issues, but cooking works for now!

That is fantastic!

The additives are nasty, so true.
A coworker of mine healed her arthritis-like joint pain ( she is under 30 y old) and her skin rashes (eczema?) by skipping store bought commercial processed meats ( pepperoni etc).

Amazing to hear her talk.

SAndwich meat really being meat is awesome. And it apparently leaves so much room for invention and creation. Having new varieties every now and then is superb!

Must admit, was thinking about getting the equipment for me too, inspired by your gorgeous home production.

I might wait a little though, or might put it on my Christmas wishlist...

Truly inspiring!

And thank you for the junior cooking advic e, so far works like a charm! We struggle with tidiness, on schedule and other issues, but cooking works for now!

That’s nice, thankyou!

Always nice to have a new culinary adventure to look forward to.
Inspiration wise this place is brilliant/disastrous for me because I find myself with an ever expanding list of things to look into or cook and as I’d rather indulge in all things food than do my other jobs I waste even more time than usual!

My sons and Mr SSOAP this week are cooking once each, then there’s ‘choice day’ (choose and cook yourself whatever you fancy) and also because I’m busy this week there’s a ‘Help yourself to pizza’ day!

I’m in the kitchen helping my eldest at the moment and tbh without choice day and having to cook once a week I think his kitchen skills would have been incredibly low. Instead we get to enjoy cooking and I get to see his knowledge improving.

Last edited:
Inspiration wise this place is brilliant/disastrous for me because I find myself with an ever expanding list of things to look into or cook and as I’d rather indulge in all things food than do my other jobs I waste even more time than usual!
It is so true.
I find myself having no more place in the fridge to store leftovers.
Will have to take 2 days off cooking to finish leftovers and calm down...get overly excited about recipes too!

To me, it is totally fantastic to have boys educated about cooking. So bravissimi to you both!
And also to your husband for not being dismissive about boys and cooking, that sadly sometimes happens.

My boyfriend can cook, and is more knowledgable about cooking than me. And I perceive it to be absolutely adorable.

To me, it is totally fantastic to have boys educated about cooking. So bravissimi to you both!
And also to your husband for not being dismissive about boys and cooking, that sadly sometimes happens.
Very much this. When I was a kid, I had to hide any cooking from my dad; otherwise, I’d get a whipping.

I do find most of my inspiration these days from the forum; specifically, the challenges. With MrsT watching her weight the last few years, we have a lot of salads, and I don’t cook nearly as much as I used to, so now, most of what I cook is to enter in the challenges.

MrsT is gone for five days starting tomorrow, and I have five pizza doughs in the freezer, but my first thought is…I have two more couscous entries to submit! :laugh:

Empanadas😍😍😍
Gluten free, filled with ground pork, red bell pepper, onion amd quinoa. Dip: honey, lemon juice, soy sauce.

I reckon I pronounced Empanadas at least 7 times whilst cooking, hence it must have left a mark on my daughter's memory😂...tried my best to sound as Spanish/South American as possible...but I know 0. Nada😆

Absolutely in love with the dish and dip. Crispy, flavourfull and soft filling, lovely dipping layers of taste...

It will be a challenge entry, but I am knackered. Later...

20240720_143504.jpg
20240720_143917.jpg
20240720_145026.jpg
20240720_145653.jpg
20240720_145956.jpg
20240720_151618.jpg

When I was a kid, I had to hide any cooking from my dad; otherwise, I’d get a whipping.
That is sad, so sorry. But I admire your cooking enthusiasm. And 😍 for your new entries. Absolutely vital for our health, both mentally and physically, to be honest.

( And what was the frittata couscous thingy?😃 Revelation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom