What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is sad, so sorry. But I admire your cooking enthusiasm. And 😍 for your new entries. Absolutely vital for our health, both mentally and physically, to be honest.

( And what was the frittata couscous thingy?😃 Revelation?)
Thanks!

I thought that couscous thingy was going to be more frittata and less cakey, but it turned out the other way round - still good, but not what I was expecting. I’ll be posting it up today.

Paella.
52a02121-fc03-43d5-9265-206dcaa59969.jpeg

It’s also saves me a bomb. The diced pork was on special offer at £5.50 kilo and mince is around £5-6 a kilo whereas a kilo of sandwich meat here will cost you between £20 - £40 per kilo depending on what you choose.

So yesterday I made up 4 kilos of sandwich meat for around £25. That would have been a minimum of £80 if I’d bought the cheapest pre-made sandwich meat.

The real bonus is there are no nasties in it, I know I’m not loading my children with sulphites, nitrites or other nasties.
Just wait until you come here and bike through Amish country. Some of those small country delis have sliced deli meats for around $7 per pound (in the grocery stores it's about $10 lb or more).

Just wait until you come here and bike through Amish country. Some of those small country delis have sliced deli meats for around $7 per pound (in the grocery stores it's about $10 lb or more).
A yes but $7 a pound is still over $14 a kilo.
Making my own I’m paying around £5.50 a kilo, that’s less than $3.55 a pound!

A yes but $7 a pound is still over $14 a kilo.
Making my own I’m paying around £5.50 a kilo, that’s less than $3.55 a pound!
Right, I wasn't comparing your homemade to what the cost is in the stores. I was just pointing out that it's way less expensive--and the quality in those small rural and Amish communities is excellent. They make a lot of cheese, pies, jams, etc. as well that are quite good.

Although if you factor in the time spent preparing (if you were paying yourself an hourly wage) and the equipment use, etc. it probably is closer to the price paid in the shops...though your homemade is obviously tastier to your eaters, LOL.

Chuck roast and short rib birria tacos with Oaxaca cheese, finely chopped onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Side slaw of chayote squash, avocado, naval orange supremes/segments, a little bit of jalapeno, and a dressing of honey, sherry vinegar, and the juice that came out of the orange while I was segmenting it.
20240720_184420.jpg

I just haven't had the love nor time to cook for a few days (well, baking doesn't count :laugh:)
Linner (late lunch/early dinner) today is take out from our favorite Asian place here in Cowboyville Arizona

IMG_4313.JPG

Veggies & Beef with Lo Mein
Maki Sushi, Cucumber and Salmon (yes, that's raw fish)
Kamaboko aka Japanese-style steamed Fish Cake
and a nice dish of Aloha brand Soy Sauce with some Wasabi mixed through for dipping.
DH is taking his meals in his La-Z-Boy recliner with a bed pillow on his lap and one of my large trays; I'm using a dish towel as a make-shift bib of sorts, so that we can contain any messes.
So far so good.

Oh by the way, Cowboyville Arizona is a made-up name I have for where we live, mainly because it's mostly cowboys, ranchers, farmers and then self-employed folks. Very rural. Love it!

Empanadas😍😍😍
Me encanta!
Over here, they're typically filled with 1) Carne Mechada (cooked, pulled skirt of beef with peppers, onions garlic and cilantro) 2) white cheese 3) White cheese and black beans 4) chicken 5) minced beef 6) cazón (that's actually dogfish, like a baby shark, mixed with sweet chiles, onions, garlic and cilantro).
To help your pronunciation (and I'm also a language teacher!) Empanadas

Mall lunch:
PLEASE do not send me any photos of pizza, I'm currently waking up from nightmares where my grandsons are stuffing pizzas in my ears, mouth and nose, not to mention dipping them in my morning tea.
If I even see another pizza in the next six months, I may well have an apoplectic fit, run stark naked from my house and seek refuge with the Yanomami tribe in the Amazon jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom