What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although if you factor in the time spent preparing (if you were paying yourself an hourly wage) and the equipment use, etc. it probably is closer to the price paid in the shops...though your homemade is obviously tastier to your eaters, LOL.
Closer to the shops in America perhaps yes, but here we pay a premium on all goods.

I don’t factor in my labour simply because if you did what would you actually cook? So much shop bought stuff is cheaper. Once you take into account the better quality ingredients you’ll invariably choose you’re often over the price of a shop bought version.

But I don’t know anyone who wants to eat prepared shop bought over homemade, it’s just so much better made by your own fair hand, that’s why we all cook, that’s why I make my own sandwich meat.

Mechanisation and economies of scale give manufacturers a big advantage but as you know they squeeze the quality to increase the profit margins to the point the product is compromised, often beyond it being even slightly palatable.

I very much look forward to sampling the Amish wares, I’ll probably be focused on that sandwich meat seeing as a hob plate, stock pot and meat press might take up a bit too much pannier space 🤔😆

Last edited:
That pie. Cold now
IMG_20240721_110014_338.jpg

Lunch was a plate of delicious leftovers and fresh vegetables.

The last bits of Ossobucco, quinoa cooked with turmeric and red bell pepper powder, used in the Empanadas filling, the Empanadas filling - quinoa and ground pork, fresh tomatoes and a cucumber. Drizzled pumpkin seed oil and soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce over quinoa. A few capers on top.

20240721_132502.jpg
20240721_132509.jpg

Yeah, like there's any chance I'm going to neglect any leftovers from this..
20240721_092724.jpg

I brushed the inside and exterior with olive oil and put in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes to help form a protective layer so the soup won't break through the bottom, and it adds a wonderful crisp texture to the bread.

I just haven't had the love nor time to cook for a few days (well, baking doesn't count :laugh:)
Linner (late lunch/early dinner) today is take out from our favorite Asian place here in Cowboyville Arizona

View attachment 116348

Veggies & Beef with Lo Mein
Maki Sushi, Cucumber and Salmon (yes, that's raw fish)
Kamaboko aka Japanese-style steamed Fish Cake
and a nice dish of Aloha brand Soy Sauce with some Wasabi mixed through for dipping.
DH is taking his meals in his La-Z-Boy recliner with a bed pillow on his lap and one of my large trays; I'm using a dish towel as a make-shift bib of sorts, so that we can contain any messes.
So far so good.

Oh by the way, Cowboyville Arizona is a made-up name I have for where we live, mainly because it's mostly cowboys, ranchers, farmers and then self-employed folks. Very rural. Love it!
Yeah, I think we knew about Cowboyvilke not being a real place lol.

Nice looking food!

Craved something sweet, fried banana drizzled with 1 teaspoon of honey, pancake batter with vanilla and cocoa poured over, cinnamon inbetween, flipped, nectarine on top. Just right!

Whipped in seconds, not even being clear of what I am doing...

There was batter for two pancakes, the second one was siezed by daughter, who put banana and nectarine on top.

20240721_174637.jpg
20240721_174643.jpg

Mr SSOAP’s turn to cook but as it’s Sunday today I made it for him yesterday and he just needs to reheat it.
Place your bets now ladies and gents, will the food make it onto the table in an edible state? 😁

IMG_3670.jpeg

It’s a sort of meatball sauce meets cowboy stew affair, hopefully it’ll still be that when it’s served 😆
I’ve left the kitchen and am anticipating at least one- two minutes peace and quiet..

Today we went to a new to us farm shop. It was amazing, great butchery, deli and the cheese counter was outrageous.

What's Going On - Malt Kiln Farm Shop

Anyway, having spent nearly £100 stocking up the fridge and freezer we had pork ribeye in a cider sauce. Tenderest pork I have had in this country for years.

20240721_181353.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom