What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
chocolate figures of all sorts, footballs, high heels, teddy bears, including cell phone shaped ones😄😅so not entirely impossible...

We have a couple of handmade chocolate places that do that as well.

Craig used to get me freshly dipped strawberries and my favorite flavored truffles for V-day. He'd grab a box of chocolates for the 2 ladies in his office as well.

Chicken stir-fry and jasmine rice last night.

subgum_chicken_070224_1_IMG_2768.jpg

Dinner last night was at Benihana for a mystery shop job. It was okay. However, I would not have been happy about the meal/cost if I wasn't getting reimbursed for it. I took pictures, but they are nothing to look at because of the way things were served. I had never been there and Craig had only been there once several years before we met, so 35+ years. He said it was about the same from what he remembers.

We had tuna poke, which we both did like a lot, and their fried rice. Then it started going downhill. Our soup, their house onion/mushroom, and salad were served at the same time, less than 5 minutes after the poke and fried rice. Soup was okay, though I didn't think it had a lot of flavor. Salad was just a run of the mill salad. Then, the chef showed up. I don't know if he was playing up the accent or was fresh off the boat, but it was annoying only being able to understand a small part of what he was saying for the most part. He went thru their allergy spiel and repeated our orders, all of which was understandable. I had ordered med rare beef tenderloin and scallops. Craig ordered scallops, Northern lobster, and shrimp. My tenderloin hit my plate literally after I took my last bite of my poke. It was medium at best. I was biting my tongue about how long the seafood was cooking, but surprisingly the scallops were cooked perfectly. Craig's shrimp and lobster were another story, seriously overcooked. The shrimp were curled up in a tight O, and both them and the lobster looked dry. We were served zucchini slices and onions as vegetables.

We won't be going back.

Craig used to get me freshly dipped strawberries and my favorite flavored truffles for V-day
Aww, that is so sweet. Yes, I imagine those are delicious. Back in the days of my Munich stay, they'd sell grapes and all kinds of fruit dipped in all kinds of chocolate, at the Christmas open air market. Caramelized almonds and many other goodies. But those fresh fruit stuck in my memory. Christkindlmarkt, it was named.

Here's a very poor picture of the birria I made last night. Picture: lousy. Taste: fantastic, according to the rest of the family.
I did taste the sauce and it's a knockout. You'd think, with all those chiles in it, it would be scorching hot, but no, it was just very tasty.
Tacos, tortillas, guacamole, pico de gallo, queso fresco, refried beans - we made a meal of it.
My DIL was once in Jalisco, and she said the traditional way to serve it is with a little cup of the sauce on the side.
Birria.jpg

Understandably so. Was the place full? Or sort of? Or empty? I always wondered how restaurants who do not serve/deliver good food survive? Economically?
For a Tuesday night, it had a surprising number of people.

The biggest draw for Benihana is the show the chefs put on as they are cooking your food, flipping knives, flipping food around, lighting fires on the grill, etc.

The other thing is that most people don't know how seafood should be cooked. They are so used to the overcooked, dried out seafood most places serve that they take that as the standard and don't know any better.

The people on this forum tend to be a little more discerning and caring about what they consume. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't really care as long as their bellies are full and they aren't spending too much to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom