What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ribs, potato salad and corn on the cob.
The ribs had Jamie Olivers ‘BBQ British Ribs’ sauce recipe on one end and karadekoolaid ’s Ferran Adriá's recipe on the other.
View attachment 116665
I served the ribs on 32cm serving/pizza dinner plates and they still hung off both ends 😂

As for the BBQ sauces opinion was split. My eldest said almost word for word what I was thinking which is Adria’s one is more subtle and complex and Jamie’s version is a bit of a sledgehammer.

BUT I put a dry rub on the ribs before they are cooked and only very little glaze at the end. The majority of the sauce goes in hot squeezy bottles so folk can decide how much they’d like to use themselves, by the end the bottles had the same amount left.

On a redo I’d use Adria’s but reduce the prominence of the tomato a smidge. I liked the whisky in Jamie’s so a splosh of that might go in as well.

Next up in the Glaze Wars Guga’s speedy soy based glaze V’s Tasty’s!
Have you ever thought about making your own bbq sauce? It's really easy and you can cherry-pick in and out things that you like/don't like. You can tailor the sauce to your tastebuds.

Have you ever thought about making your own bbq sauce? It's really easy and you can cherry-pick in and out things that you like/don't like. You can tailor the sauce to your tastebuds.
I did make these. I just made them from other peoples recipe’s. I’m building up a catalogue of different recipe’s before I “cherry pick” what I like to make my own versions 👍

I'm making a pizza with TastyReuben base from the freezer.
Will contain bacon
I'll leave it at that lol

Russ

Be careful how you use this sharp implement

Russ

View attachment 116604
I worked in the meat business for years. I know what a sharp knife is and after a few times of getting stitches I got more careful. I will never be one of those people on tv chopping like crazy.

I’ve got a lovely lunch planned but now I want egg n beans on toast!
The food heart is such a fickle thing! 😂
I did something a little different, not quite a UK breakfast but decidedly not a US thing, either:

For DH I toasted the top half of a hamburger bun, and in a small bowl, I put some leftover bean soup (it had some ham, carrots, onion, and potato in it), covered it with a piece of sliced deli chicken and a slice of American cheese, and put it in the microwave. I put the bun 1/2 in a shallow bowl and covered it with the beans, then the deli meat and cheese, and then topped it with 2 fried over-medium eggs. He really liked it! I did the same for myself with the thinner bottom 1/2 of the bun and a smaller portion of beans, meat, and cheese, topped with 1 over-medium egg. It was very good, actually. No Heinz tomato-based beans, completely savory, but quite satisfying.

I did something a little different, not quite a UK breakfast but decidedly not a US thing, either:

For DH I toasted the top half of a hamburger bun, and in a small bowl, I put some leftover bean soup (it had some ham, carrots, onion, and potato in it), covered it with a piece of sliced deli chicken and a slice of American cheese, and put it in the microwave. I put the bun 1/2 in a shallow bowl and covered it with the beans, then the deli meat and cheese, and then topped it with 2 fried over-medium eggs. He really liked it! I did the same for myself with the thinner bottom 1/2 of the bun and a smaller portion of beans, meat, and cheese, topped with 1 over-medium egg. It was very good, actually. No Heinz tomato-based beans, completely savory, but quite satisfying.

Sound like a lovely savoury thing to have for breakfast.
Much prefer a savoury breakfast to sweet.

Have you ever thought about making your own bbq sauce? It's really easy and you can cherry-pick in and out things that you like/don't like. You can tailor the sauce to your

@SandwichShortOfAPicnic

I did make these. I just made them from other peoples recipe’s. I’m building up a catalogue of different recipe’s before I “cherry pick” what I like to make my own versions 👍

I like

https://m.facebook.com/tomsbbqsauce/

It's kind of a combo of a mustard-ketchup-vinegar based sauce. I prefer the original. Craig likes the hot. Haven't been able to find it lately, but found it's now being carried in a small local chain near us now. I keep saying I'm going to try and make a copycat but never do .

Tried the new grinder today with some steak trim. Made Kofta kababs. I always thought they looked like…umm…anyway, added some more zucchini, and a tabouleh I subbed out the bulger for cauliflower rice.
IMG_4812.jpeg

IMG_4813.jpeg
IMG_4815.jpeg

Trying something different for lunch for work tomorrow. Quinoa with red peppers, cucumbers, roasted chick peas, red onions a little cilantro, avacado and toasted sunflower seeds in a homemade dressing that contains olive oil, lemon juice and red wine vinegar with some seasoning.
20240728_175125.jpg

To the vegans in the group. Is this a healthy thing?

Trying something different for lunch for work tomorrow. Quinoa with red peppers, cucumbers, roasted chick peas, red onions a little cilantro, avacado and toasted sunflower seeds in a homemade dressing that contains olive oil, lemon juice and red wine vinegar with some seasoning.
View attachment 116691
To the vegans in the group. Is this a healthy thing?
Don't have to be vegan to give that a hell yes!

Does this also go by "Kufta"? As in the Turkish meat cylinder things? I saw these years ago on a cooking show and I've wanted to try them ever since.
Yes. I've seen a few spellings..but, that is what they are. There are tons of different recipes that call for a wide array of spices. You could easily just go with what you think you might like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom