What did you cook or eat today (March 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had several chicken parts, seasoned with salt, smoked paprika ground and a tiny touch of chilli,so I baked them with some sweet red paprika. We were too hungry to take other pictures later. Kid did excellent fried potatoes and I cooked chicken breast fillet schnitzel to her meal. She had lettuce with it, and I had pickled cucumbers.

JAS_OH1 Hi, cannot find the post with your questions about my corn muffins, so here is my reply...we do have Agave syrup available, I just saw it today at the store, and read the label, it had 71 g of sugars per 100 g syrup, so it trascends into the group of ingredients I would avoid...I did use about 30 g of honey, so they had a hint of sweet, but I think the sweetness of the honey was a tad too strong for me in this recipe, perhaps that is what I did not like. Oh and they were quite dry...I prefer moist muffins.
Leavening? Yes, the recipe called for both baking powder and baking soda, so yes, I did use those...

[Mod.Edit: Here is the post from JAS_OH1 #181]

JAS_OH1 Hi, cannot find the post with your questions about my corn muffins, so here is my reply...we do have Agave syrup available, I just saw it today at the store, and read the label, it had 71 g of sugars per 100 g syrup, so it trascends into the group of ingredients I would avoid...I did use about 30 g of honey, so they had a hint of sweet, but I think the sweetness of the honey was a tad too strong for me in this recipe, perhaps that is what I did not like. Oh and they were quite dry...I prefer moist muffins.
Leavening? Yes, the recipe called for both baking powder and baking soda, so yes, I did use those...

I remember you are trying to avoid dairy, what kind of moisture did you use? I am just trying to figure out why the muffins were dry. I too would not like dry muffins. I use buttermilk but I am not sure if that's even something available to you, and also if you are avoiding dairy, that's out. Also oil or butter in the mix helps to keep the muffins moist. Did you use oil or butter? I also use egg in mine.

As far as the sweetness goes, I was just thinking that more natural sweeteners would be better than refined sugar, but 71g of sugar is a lot, yes.

Edited to add: this recipe for dairy free corn muffins. This one calls for sugar, but I think you could just cut the small amount used in half or sub with a lesser amount of honey. Also, this recipe author uses canned corn. I have read other recipes where people use canned creamed corn to help with moisture, but often that contains sugar. I suppose you could whir some corn and a touch of unsweetened almond milk in a blender to make your own? Just thinking...

I forgot to add the recipe link!
Sweet Corn Muffins (dairy-free) - Sugared & Stirred

P.S. I think if I were making her recipe, I would cut the ingredients by 1/2 or even 1/4, that's a lot of muffins!

Last edited:

I remember you are trying to avoid dairy, what kind of moisture did you use? I am just trying to figure out why the muffins were dry. I too would not like dry muffins. I use buttermilk but I am not sure if that's even something available to you, and also if you are avoiding dairy, that's out. Also oil or butter in the mix helps to keep the muffins moist. Did you use oil or butter? I also use egg in mine.

As far as the sweetness goes, I was just thinking that more natural sweeteners would be better than refined sugar, but 71g of sugar is a lot, yes.

Edited to add: this recipe for dairy free corn muffins. This one calls for sugar, but I think you could just cut the small amount used in half or sub with a lesser amount of honey. Also, this recipe author uses canned corn. I have read other recipes where people use canned creamed corn to help with moisture, but often that contains sugar. I suppose you could whir some corn and a touch of unsweetened almond milk in a blender to make your own? Just thinking...
I just grabbed my notebook where i write down recipes that I try cooking. unfortunately I did not make notes on alterations...I will try to go by memory, it may not be accurate...the recipe calls for Apfelmuss, purreed cooked apples, I think I subbed those with oat milk. It calls for 2 eggs, I think I used 1 egg and some chia with water. I did use 1/3 of a cup of olive oil. Possibly omitting the apples was a wrong move...

Buttermilk should be available, for sure, we do have a broad choice of dairy...perhaps I could search for soy sub, but it is not something I have on hand...this was a spontaneous late night bake, so I was not strict with the recipe and did not have all the ingredients...

I do think I had apples, but as I prefer them raw, possibly I did not want them to go in the muffins...but now that we type, I have some pears that I do not like raw, so I might give them a use tomorrow in retrying the muffins.

That is a cool idea to do corn and almond milk...let me see if I want to do that...I did add carob, I do remember that, but somehow it was not profiled enough... the taste overall...

I just grabbed my notebook where i write down recipes that I try cooking. unfortunately I did not make notes on alterations...I will try to go by memory, it may not be accurate...the recipe calls for Apfelmuss, purreed cooked apples, I think I subbed those with oat milk. It calls for 2 eggs, I think I used 1 egg and some chia with water. I did use 1/3 of a cup of olive oil. Possibly omitting the apples was a wrong move...

Buttermilk should be available, for sure, we do have a broad choice of dairy...perhaps I could search for soy sub, but it is not something I have on hand...this was a spontaneous late night bake, so I was not strict with the recipe and did not have all the ingredients...

I do think I had apples, but as I prefer them raw, possibly I did not want them to go in the muffins...but now that we type, I have some pears that I do not like raw, so I might give them a use tomorrow in retrying the muffins.

That is a cool idea to do corn and almond milk...let me see if I want to do that...I did add carob, I do remember that, but somehow it was not profiled enough... the taste overall...
I went back and edited my post to include her recipe link. Sorry about that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom