What did you cook or eat today (March 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno about up north, but when I was in Mexico City, all the "tortas" were served in a round bun, or bap. I even had one which was filled first, then bathed in salsa roja.

Dunno about up north, but when I was in Mexico City, all the "tortas" were served in a round bun, or bap. I even had one which was filled first, then bathed in salsa roja.

Like sandwiches everywhere, there seems to be a wide range of ways to make a Mexican Torta, depending on where you are, and who makes it. The bolillo I find in all the stores here is kind of football/rugby ball shaped.

CD

How to define wrap/burrito/tortilla...
Wow! you´ve just opened a can of worms!
I always think "wrap" when it´s Middle-Eastern, so it could be a kebab, a shawarma, souvlaki, or falafel, stuffed and rolled in a piece of pita bread.
A burrito is made with a flour tortilla, and is popular in Northern Mexico/Southern USA
A tortilla is simply the name for a corn disk, used to fill with carnitas, cochinito, chicken , or what ever, in Mexico.
So still I can't name what I prepared for lunch today...it's like Balto: he's not a burrito, he's not a wrap...he knows only what he's not!
🤣

Looks yummy.

I had the boys pull a container of pork knuckle kimchi jiggae from the freezer. The last batch is a bit soupy but that’s ok.
I FT’d my partner so there would be banchan/side dishes. They are Vietnamese rice crackers - the shrimp & black sesame version, slaw & pickled daikon radish.

I would have preferred my rice on one side of the bowl & the stew on the other but I didn’t specify.

BTW, Mexicans make very tasty sandwiches they call Tortas, with all kinds of meats and veggies on a bread called bolillo, a roll that is in most grocery stores in Texas. Kinda' like a Mexican hoagie, sub, or po-boy.

View attachment 82747

CD
We have those Rolls here as well, and I use them for Bahn Mi!!! I was going to attempt to make my own rolls for Bahn Mi, but I was told by this nice lady, don't bother, it's far too much work and it still won't come out as you remember.

IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG

Recently, I found this in the cold case at our local Trader Joe's and it was marvelous!
I thought that I could make my own and not make that 30 mile trek for Chicken Salad.

IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG

Yesterday, I made a copycat recipe of Trader Joe's Curry Chicken Salad.
I'll make this again, but with a teak to it.
I followed the recipe that I found online, but it didn't have enough "dressing" for my taste... plus TJ's tub is a bit saucy.
But that Sandwich, made with multi-grain Bread, more Mayo, sliced Avocado and mixed Spring Greens, was delicious!

kaneohegirlinaz regardibg banh mi. Theme fighting words 😉 Considering “banh” is the bread and the the filling is highly changeable you really need to source a bakery run by Vietnamese people if at all possible. They learned baguette from the French while occupied and they made it their own 👌🥖

Luckily for me, one of the top 10 banh mi shops in Sydney is close to my work. Banh mi Thit is my preferred option for Friday lunch.

Still locked in the bedroom but the boys must have had a late night as there was no one around this morning so I put on 2 masks and washed my hands to sneak out to the kitchen to make tea.

While I was there I put a container of frozen chowder in a small pot to heat slowly and cooked some toast. Yes, this weirdo likes cold toast so the butter doesn’t melt. Later when I was hungry (after midday, still no sign of life out there) so I snuck out again to butter my toast & retrieved my lunch.

Starting to go stir crazy.

The one time I used it, I added a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper. It made a big difference.

CD

I suppose it depends much on what the gravy will be used for. The steak and kidley pies are already quite peppery (I don't make them) so it would be easy to go "over the top". I definitely would not add salt as Bisto contains enough, even for me (I am currently using the Bisto granules but will be changing to Golden Fry granules when this tub is finished). Should I be cooking in gravy (e.g. beef stew or chilli) I use OXO stock cubes.

That the Golden Fry gravy granules are made in Yorkshire does not influence my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom