What did you cook or eat today (September 2024)

If I have vegan cream on hand, love making Alfredo sauce, over gluten free pasta. Vegan Parmiggiano. Lunch .

20240913_131626.jpg

I'd actually been wondering what " Tovala Meals" were for some time, thinking, perhaps, that they were gourmet meals , but ready cooked.
Just looked at the website and, they're not; they're prepped, but you have to do the cooking, basically.
What a lovely idea!
They are pretty good for the most part, though there have been a few fails for our taste. I do stay away from their shrimp and fish meals because I don't know where they are sourced and we are super picky about that. I also don't order the breakfast meals because they are really expensive for what they are. The dinners are a few dollars cheaper than the freshly made, ready to cook meals in our supermarket and the selection is much wider.

The Tovala meals have very little to do before you pop in the oven, scan the bar code and press start. The chicken, meatballs, pork chops and shrimp come in vacuum packs so you freeze if desired. The rest of the ingredients come packaged separately in boxes. There's a lot of packaging, which is a drawback waste wise. But the little prep that is needed is never very much, like you might need to add water to rice or pasta, spread mayo or mustard over a piece of chicken or pork chop, then sprinkle on crusting material, maybe stir or flatten mashed potatoes or ragu so it cooks evenly, add cheese like I did last night. They come with everything you need, other than water, to make the meals.

I tend to add little things like I did last night, bread or a vegetable. Last night I had planned to add bread so Craig would be full, but found the leftover zucchini when I went through the vege bin before grocery shopping and decided that would be a good addition.

I keep the easy to clean Tovala tins as extra little cooking dishes. They have recipes, including scan times on their web site, for various dishes from breakfast to desserts. Plus, the little tins are good small mixing bowels and are good for craft uses as well. Balances out the waste somewhat.

Plus, the oven is connected to an app on your phone so you get notified when food is done, and you can also see how much time is left. As well, you can set the time and temp from your phone so all you have to do is push the start button on the oven, which is good for us when Craig is using the Tovala because he has no idea how to use it other than pressing start.

View attachment 118350
Let’s see…Biergarten radish, pepperoni, landjäger sausage we got at Oktoberfest yesterday, onion cheese, honey ham loaf, sweet, dill, and herbed pickles, black olives, cheddar-stuffed olives, and crackers.

Abymes Vin De Savoie in the jug.
I’m 100% German. Grew up on German food. Lived in German for a year. Love all of those things. The closest place I can enjoy Oktoberfest is 4 hours away. Still may go one of these weekends.

Had a very late lunch today, no time for shopping at the Supermarket, the only things at hand were 1 courgette, 1 onion, 1 canned tuna in olive oil, pasta.
I’ve been frying up onion along courgette, then blended together, drained pasta al dente (well, it was a bit too much al dente but I was starving!), seasoned with courgette/onion puree and added tuna
Not bad indeed

IMG_6701.jpeg

IMG_6698.jpeg
IMG_6687.jpeg
IMG_6683.jpeg

Had a couple of empanadas for breakfast, and I've only eaten what we were cooking for the event tomorrow. A spoonful here (not enough salt) a spoonful there (add a bit more cumin) another spoonful here (the peanut sauce is too sweet; add some vinegar) and a bite there (Ok - the cheese is cooked and soaking up the spices)
I'm going to dive into the fridge where I think there may be some leftover puttanesca.

Back
Top Bottom