What did you cook or eat today (September 2024)

Tandoori chicken. Garlic sauce and mixed pickle.
IMG_4934.jpeg

Made a tomato quiche (I’ve made this before). Doesn’t look all that great, but there were some minor mishaps along the way, but its taste is stellar. Summer tomatoes really make a difference.

IMG_9268.jpeg

One bonus…I had a bit of dough and some of the egg custard left over, so I made a couple of mini quiches, which will likely show up for breakfast tomorrow.

Morning Glory - whenever I make anything like this, you always ask if I made my own crust, and I always say I do occasionally, but I used a store-bought one.

Well, this time, I made the crust from scratch:

IMG_9269.jpeg

It was very, very nice.

I love tomato pie. Try lowering your oven rack next time.
Thanks. I used a slightly smaller pie tin this time, without realizing it, so I had too much filling for the it…but I didn’t realize it until I had all the tomatoes in there, and that made it a little wetter than usual, and I was trying to bake the moisture out - I did have it all the way down on the pizza stone for the last half of the bake, and that helped, and I was afraid the bottom was going to be soggy, but it’s fairly crisp.

It’s like me…ugly, but it’ll treat you well! :laugh:

Thanks. I used a slightly smaller pie tin this time, without realizing it, so I had too much filling for the it…but I didn’t realize it until I had all the tomatoes in there, and that made it a little wetter than usual, and I was trying to bake the moisture out - I did have it all the way down on the pizza stone for the last half of the bake, and that helped, and I was afraid the bottom was going to be soggy, but it’s fairly crisp.

Yeah. A lot going on with all of those ingredients. I think the best way to avoid a soggy bottom is to maybe let the tomato slices drain a bit on paper towel before assembly. And, not all cheeses brown so quickly so maybe consider another kind or brand. Looks good all the same, though!

You are not ugly! That's why the ladies love talking to you and flirting with you when you go out!

Made cottage pie with leftover pot roast from the freezer. Had lots of beef left, but hardly any veges, so steamed some carrots and green beans, and sauteed some onion, garlic and mushrooms. Mashed potatoes on top. Baked for a while after putting it together.

You are not ugly! That's why the ladies love talking to you and flirting with you when you go out!
Thank you! ☺️

I was out with my brother Lee once, and I’d struck up a conversation with a young lady (this was a few years ago), nothing flirty or anything, just chatting, and he was waiting on me outside.

When I got outside, he said, “That girl really likes you,” and was kind of laughing at me, teasing me a little bit.

I disagreed, and he said, “No, you talk a good game, you have that family charm, all us boys have it. We get it from Dad.”

Then he paused for a second and added, “…which is a good thing, because you’ve got a face like an old shoe. You need all the help you can get!”

Brothers! :laugh:

Or just lay a piece of foil over it after filling has set.
I had that going on for a while, too! :laugh:

It could have been the cheese, too, as Rocklobster suggested. I used Gruyère this time, and I usually use Monterey Jack - I don’t know the browning characteristics of each, but that may have been a factor as well.

It’s already half gone, though, so it’s all good. 👍

Made a tomato quiche (I’ve made this before). Doesn’t look all that great, but there were some minor mishaps along the way, but its taste is stellar. Summer tomatoes really make a difference.

View attachment 118159

One bonus…I had a bit of dough and some of the egg custard left over, so I made a couple of mini quiches, which will likely show up for breakfast tomorrow.

Morning Glory - whenever I make anything like this, you always ask if I made my own crust, and I always say I do occasionally, but I used a store-bought one.

Well, this time, I made the crust from scratch:

View attachment 118160
It was very, very nice.
What do you mean "The look isn't there"? This looks amazing.

Back
Top Bottom