What did you cook or eat today (July 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubby was out last night, so I went to pull a freezer meal out. I was looking for the cooking instructions when I spotted this....

I'll put the wtf behind a spoiler to give you chance to spot what I saw!

View attachment 116739View attachment 116740

View attachment 116741
Very unimpressed. Not even vegetarian let alone vegan.

Needless to say, I didn't eat it and won't be getting that brand again.
So did you contact their consumer comments line? Is there an FDA type government agency that oversees truth in advertising and food ingredients in Australia?

Finally got to make the veggie lasagna. The layers were (1) aubergine, onion and tomato and (2) ricotta with leeks and mushrooms, topped with bechamel and parmigiano reggiano. I made far too much of everything, but at least I've got a whole 4 portions frozen and more than enough for the rest of the week.
Lasagna veggie 4.jpg
Lasagna veggie 3.jpg
Lasagna veggie 2.jpg

Lasagna veggie 1.jpg

Needless to say, I didn't eat it and won't be getting that brand again.
Back in the late 60s and 70s, vegetarianism was considered really odd; vegans just didn't exist, I don't think. I'd often get a plate of eggs and ham, and when I'd say "What's this? I'm a vegetarian!"
Answer: "Oh, but ham's not meat, is it?" DUH!
Nowadays, with veganism a lifestyle and all the publicity and information available, I'm absolutely stunned that a company that mass produces food could even possibly make such a stupid mistake. And I mean, stupid - a corporate business that doesn't check for details, or is so ignorant that they don't know (or care).
I would definitely contact them.

This looks very good. What type of beans are they?
Thank you!

This pic shows them soaked. Pinto beans would be my guess, in comparing them to google pictures.
Or Borlotti beans? They look pretty similar. Maybe even both.

Not particularly good at distinguishing Beans, my apologies, plus here they are either descriptevely labeled as 'colourful' beans or 'cherry' beans...

They cook lovely and get tender within 90 minutes.

20240730_091516.jpg

This seems to have turned into a lovely, silky ganache.

I used chilled coconut cream, coconut butter, chocolate, vanilla and orange essences and a teaspoon of gelatine 'fix' powder.

Lovely! Quite powerful and very smooth in texture.

I could not however get it out of the bowl elegantly, and it does not roll well ( melts), I tried to make truffles, but no, it will be eaten by spoon. Next time, into sillicone moulds.

20240730_172429.jpg
20240730_172449.jpg

Pinto beans would be my guess, in comparing them to google pictures.
Or Borlotti beans? They look pretty similar. Maybe even both.

Not particularly good at distinguishing Beans, my apologies, plus here they are either descriptevely labeled as 'colourful' beans or 'cherry' beans...
This looks very good. What type of beans are they?

They looked like pinto?

I was thinking cranberry/Roman beans.

was thinking cranberry/Roman beans.
Yes! When I type it in my google bar, it says it is equivalent to Borlotti? Also, it says, synonims are: Romano beans, yes cranberry beans, as you named, and it says it was first grown in Columbia as cargamanto beans.

If we had the Latin name, perhaps it would ease the naming...

Yes! It looked like Pinto at first, to me too, but then like Borlotti too, makes the identification a bit confusing, doesn't it?
I haven't ever had the Borlotti, but would imagine that the flavor is quite similar? I can't be sure of course, but a lot of beans do taste similar and vary in texture and size for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom